ftp problems

Questions and discussion about The WiPy 1.0 board and CC3200 boards.
Target audience: Users with a WiPy 1.0 or CC3200 board.
Fizzyorr

ftp problems

Post by Fizzyorr » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:49 am

Hi

Very pleased to have received my wipy/extension board yesterday.

As a noob user, I'm having problems connecting to the ftp server, and consequently can't do much with it yet (especially in absence of tutorials). I've successfully connected through the wifi ap via telnet and the board seems happy enough connected to a good quality usb supply +/- battery. I'm using a macbook. When I attempt to connect to the ftp server, using the built in ftp program through finder (typing 'ftp://192.168.1.1'), it asks for username and password and then attempts to connect. Nothing happens for a while, then I get a server disconnected message. When I attempt to connect with cyberduck, I manage to view the file structure, but when I try to open boot.py etc, it fails, as though the ftp connection has dropped.

I'd be very grateful for any pointers anyone can offer

Cheers

platforma

Re: ftp problems

Post by platforma » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:48 pm

Hey!

I'd recommend you try out FileZilla. I've had some issues logging into the ftp server using gftp and plain ftp from command line. From what I understood, the encryption should be set to plain (i.e none at all) and the amount of connections should be limited to 1 at a time. There's an explanation in the github repository. I am now using filezilla and it works just fine, but you might want to try fiddling with your application settings!

Cheers

danicampora

Post by danicampora » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:47 am

Thanks! platforma.

Yes, filezilla works flawlessly after following the instructions in the link. Unix native ftp tool also woks perfectly as long as you set the mode to passive. So after logging in:
ftp> passive
FireFTP also works very well. Most issues are related to attempting more than one data connection or trying active mode.

platforma

Post by platforma » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:10 pm

Ah, thanks for the tip, I was trying to find out how to set up the settings for plain ftp, limited to one connection. I will try it once I get back from work, probably easier to use/script the command line ftp instead of a GUI.

Fizzyorr

Post by Fizzyorr » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:15 am

Thanks for your help folks.

I found that I could access ftp from command line, and later it started working from cyberduck. No joy from OS X, but at least I can access boot.py etc now. Does your point about one connection apply to ftp/telnet at the same time?

Cheers

danicampora

Post by danicampora » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:13 am

Hi,

FTP and Telnet can be perfectly used at the same time.

Cheers,
Daniel