Getting started

Questions and discussion about The WiPy 1.0 board and CC3200 boards.
Target audience: Users with a WiPy 1.0 or CC3200 board.
Gordon_Hardman

Re: Getting started

Post by Gordon_Hardman » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:29 am

I am having a related problem. Green light on expansion board is on steady; red light on Wipy is flashing. I have FTDI drivers (at least I can connect to Pyboard). Using wifi I modified my boot.py on the wipy to be:

# boot.py -- run on boot-up
# can run arbitrary Python, but best to keep it minimal
from machine import UART
import os
uart = UART(0, 115200)
os.dupterm(uart)

After several boots, there is no VCP and no disk drive. All the jumpers are installed, and REPL over wifi works great. Just nothing over USB from the expansion board. Anyone have any ideas?

I upgraded the firmware over the air to 1.1.1, no problems there.

danicampora

Post by danicampora » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:20 am

Hi Gordon,

When you connect the expansion board to you pc, does the pc show up a new serial port? If not please re-install the ftdi drivers.

Bare in mind that the WiPy is never going to show up as a mass storage device, only as a VCP.

Cheers,
Daniel

profra

Post by profra » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:50 pm

Hi, I have the same problem... (wipy + expansion board).
... if I put these lines manually through telnet, all is OK (putty is working, normal prompt ">>>" and responses)... but if I put it in boot.py and do power off/on putty doesn't write anything!!!
Any idea?

Gordon_Hardman

Post by Gordon_Hardman » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:43 am

Daniel,

I tried that. I downloaded the setup executable from FTDI and ran it, it reported success. But when I plug the wipy in, Windows Device Manager does not show that it has detected any change. Normally with an FTDI chip (and I have connected with probably more than a thousand) Device Manager at least indicates that it has found something new. In this case there is absolutely nothing. So no hint of where to look. FTDI has without doubt the most reliable USB/serial chips, and I have got quite comfortable connecting with them over the last decade or so using VCP, but in this case there is nada, so I am at a loss.

I am on travel, and trying to do some "midnight engineering" in my hotel, so I don't have access to a 'scope. When I do, what should I check for?

Gordon

Gordon_Hardman

Post by Gordon_Hardman » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:46 pm

Re-booted. Problem solved! VCP appeared, all is well!

profra

Post by profra » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:31 pm

Hi Gordon,
can you, please, describe for me all steps you have done? I am not able to "wake up" my WiPy to communicate by way of USB... no reaction.... Thank you in advance for your helpfulness.