Getting started

Questions and discussion about The WiPy 1.0 board and CC3200 boards.
Target audience: Users with a WiPy 1.0 or CC3200 board.
Xykon

Getting started

Post by Xykon » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:38 pm

Hello,

I received my WiPy board with dev board today... I soldered in the headers and plugged it into USB.

My understanding is that I should have a serial port and a disk, but I only get the serial port. And I can't see anything over that serial port.

I can connect to the WiPi with my phone so Wifi works but I don't have telnet on my phone to connect to the WiPi.

Do I need to do anything special to get the disk drive? I tried both USB 3.0 normal and charging ports on my PC. I don't have WiFi on my PC so I can't connect directly to the WiPi from PC. How can I enable serial console over USB port to change WiPi into client mode or enable the disk drive to put the code into the boot file?

I've read quite a few posts on here sorry if I missed the one that explains this issue.
Christian Ehlers - Pycom

danicampora

Re: Getting started

Post by danicampora » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:32 pm

Unfortunately you need a telnet connection to activate the REPL duplication on the uart. Once you are on telnet do:

Code: Select all

from machine import UART
import os
uart = UART(0, baudrate=115200)
os.dupterm(uart)
If you put that in your boot.py (via the ftp server), than you will always have the serial terminal after power up.

Xykon

Post by Xykon » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:15 pm

OK thanks... looks like I'll have to get a USB Wifi adapter first.
Christian Ehlers - Pycom

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:05 am

@danicampora Out of interest why not ship with a boot.py that enables the USB? I found it odd to see /dev/ttyUSB0 yet be unable to use it.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

danicampora

Post by danicampora » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:11 am

Could be an option. But not everyone ordered the expansion board. And those UART pins can be used for many things besides the UART, and since Telnet is the default REPL and it's easy to enable the duplication. I understand that the lack of proper docs doesn't help...

Xykon

Post by Xykon » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:48 pm

It's been a while since I got a 2nd go at my WiPy as I was buried in a lot of work.

I finally managed to get the REPL via serial, but not with the supplied devsys board. I tried the dev board both under Windows 10 (with built-in and latest FTDI drivers) as well as latest Ubuntu Linux but wouldn't get anything on the serial port. I tried both the micropython submodule from the wipy github source tree as well as the latest trunk version.

I finally decided to wire the WiPy directly to an FTDI module I knew was working and I instantly got the serial prompt. So I'm wondering if there are any special drivers needed for the devsys board or if the FTDI chip on mine simply is broken. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Christian Ehlers - Pycom

danicampora

Post by danicampora » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:55 pm

Is your board missing the jumpers? Does the green LED light up on the expansion board when the USB cable is connected?

Xykon

Post by Xykon » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:20 pm

Yes it was the jumpers... I had seen the hardware guide before but somehow didn't realize you had to use them.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to use a for statement on the serial REPL prompt...
Christian Ehlers - Pycom

achimh

Post by achimh » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:12 pm

danicampora wrote:Is your board missing the jumpers? Does the green LED light up on the expansion board when the USB cable is connected?
Hi, I also have no jumpers. The green LED lights up, however. Do I understand correctly that I cannot connect via USB if I don't have the jumpers?

BR, Achim.

gamscho

Post by gamscho » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:44 pm

It are the jumpers.
I have received 2 boards. One with jumpers and one without.
After changing the boot.py as instructed, the putty screen stayed blank but I found a copy of the REPL in the putty.log file.
Putting the jumpers in place solved the problem.