Install problem on MAC

Discussion and questions about boards that can run MicroPython but don't have a dedicated forum.
Target audience: Everyone interested in running MicroPython on other hardware.
BobH

Install problem on MAC

Post by BobH » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:37 pm

This is my first post, I can't work out how and where to post or how to attach code and screen shots - bear with me while I get the gist of things. Programming has changed since 1974 -a bit (or a byte)
I have downloaded the latest Mu from Github and have now got the file MU-3.app on a MacBookAir Op sys El Capitaine.
Any code I write errors out when I run the CHECK button. Screen shot attached. What am I doing wrong?

OOPs, I can't paste my problem, but typical problem:-

from microbic import * 'from microbic import *' used ; unable to detect undefined names

Bob

Moderator Note: I moved this topic to "Other Boards" since it seems to be related to the microbit and not to do with Kickstarter stuff (where it was originally posted).

deshipu

Re: Install problem on MAC

Post by deshipu » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:45 pm

That is normal and expected when you use "import *". The code checker has no way of knowing what names you actually imported, and hence can't really validate your program. If you want to be able to validate your programs, don't use "import *" but instead explicitly import the names that you are going to use.