Esp32 port

Discussion and questions about boards that can run MicroPython but don't have a dedicated forum.
Target audience: Everyone interested in running MicroPython on other hardware.
Roberthh

Re: Esp32 port

Postby Roberthh » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:00 pm

If you have the chance (and are not on Windows), try the command line ftp version, which I used yesterday, or use a browser like Chrome. I cannot recall whether I tried Filezilla with that version, which is kind of intermediate. As far as I could tell, Filezilla quick connect mode doe snot work. Either it uses active mode or more than one connection. That can be a little bit misleading. Even when a command is not supported by the file server, it should print the request. But an attempt to open a second connection will simply stall.
My personal experience is better with the Fireftp extension of Firefox. I'll try myself this evening.

Roberthh

Postby Roberthh » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:18 pm

@devnull The problem is yesterday's update, which broke the function. If you go back to 3d903f5b3eb930594a6c0dbaf2b5a3958807f730, it works, at least with FileZilla (passive, 1 session) and command line ftp. FireFTP complains about the incomplete data at ls. I stripped that down since localtime() is not yet available in the port. Not clear what exactly caused the problem in the new build, which was about socket timeouts. So I have to invest a little bit more. So much about my quick hack.

Roberthh

Postby Roberthh » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:25 am

@devnull: After yesterday's update of the esp32 repository, the uftpsever.py script works again. Here are the updated files for my tools. I changed the ls output to send dummy file creation/change dates again. Leaving that out confused some ftp clients. One word about the editor: The copy command is traditionally Ctrl-C. But Ctrl-C is also KeyboardInterrupt, which cannot be caught in this firmware. This is a known bug in the esp32 ports. For the copy operation, Ctrl-D can be used. The problem is, that if you press Ctrl-C for copy, the editor will terminate at the next keyboard press.

tools.zip
(8.78 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

devnull

Postby devnull » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:24 am

@roberthh - thanks, I just received some new wroom boards and thought that I would compile and try the very latest and your original uftp server is working now, I have not tried your updated version.

Any idea what the ram usage is for it ??

Many Thanks

Update

I just tried your latest version and that's working too.
Last edited by devnull on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roberthh

Postby Roberthh » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:31 am

The RAM usage of the ftp server depends. If you have it in flash (frozen bytecode), it's like 1 k. The MPY size is 5k, so RAM usage will be in that range when loaded from the files system. I suggest to put ot into the flash.
If you reload the module, you can also increase the size of the file system.

bmeisels

Postby bmeisels » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:44 am

Has anyone been able to get the pycom port working on a wroom32 based board? (I am using a watterott board)
I have managed to get the micropython-esp32 working but it doesn't support bluetooth.
Also how is the merge process going?

devnull

Postby devnull » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:54 am

@Roberthh - I have only just started compiling my own build (on the 8266 as of last night actually) and figured out how to use frozen code, seems it is simply a case of dropping it into the modules folder.

But do you know how your ftp server can be started at boot and run in the background ?? - I started another thread on same topic on esp8266 forum.

Roberthh

Postby Roberthh » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:37 am

For the ESP8266 I have a variant that runs in the background. It' here:https://github.com/robert-hh/ESP8266-FTP-Server
The callback mechanism used for that in the ESP8266 does not exist in the esp32 port. And I have no knowledge of a mechanism on the EPS32 port which would allow a background task to be registered in parallel to the REPL prompt.

Return to “Other Boards”