TFT or OLED drivers

Discuss development of drivers for external hardware and components, such as LCD screens, sensors, motor drivers, etc.
Target audience: Users and developers of drivers.
roland_vs

TFT or OLED drivers

Post by roland_vs » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:56 pm

Dear all,

I like to hookup a TFT 320x240 2.4" display to a STM32F429. Using and SF-TC240T-9370-T it seem pretty straight forward as this is also used on the 429 discovery board. However it uses a full parallel RGB interface together with the serial interface for interfacing using the LCD controller that is in the STM32F429.

It would be nice to downscale the design to the STM32F405 (PYB board) and use a SPI interface only.
Also a beautiful OLED 160x128 1.69" display UG-6028GDEBF02 is a nice candidate to use in the same setup.

I would like to learn from anyone who is willing to share his/her experience hooking up TFT/OLED to the STM's before I make a PCB out of it... And if there is a (even in part) basic driver that would great too!

Roland

marfis

Re: TFT or OLED drivers

Post by marfis » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:54 am

I recently used my limifrog board with an 160*128 densitron oled module. A summary of my testing is here
http://forum.micropython.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2736

Its based on the L476, but if you copy the display staff from the schematic and use an F405 that should pretty much work.

The HW design is open source. The driver is by @tobbard - I changed that to work with the framebuf module (you really want to use that for large displays)

The link above also mentiones peters font library - there was an update recently so it should work with the 16 bit rgb displays out of the box

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:41 am

marfis wrote:The link above also mentiones peters font library - there was an update recently so it should work with the 16 bit rgb displays out of the box
I'd be glad for feedback from anyone who's used it with an RGB display: I don't have suitable hardware to test this. It should be device-agnostic as I removed the optimisations which made assumptions about pixel mapping.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

roland_vs

Post by roland_vs » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:51 am

Great thanks both for your response. Next two months I will probably make a design for it. I will share my result.

sum(ord(c) for c in "happy new year to you\x04")

marfis

Post by marfis » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:16 pm

For completion - there is a TFT touchscreen for the pyboard in the store:
https://store.micropython.org/#/products/LCD160CRv1_0

but it is fairly new and I'm not sure if it can be ordered... Also I'm not aware of schematics.

there are also various adafruit tutorials on the subject. just google adafruit+micropython.