Automatic Fiesta - The easy way to distribute updates.

Discussion about programs, libraries and tools that work with MicroPython. Mostly these are provided by a third party.
Target audience: All users and developers of MicroPython.
Narcolapser

Automatic Fiesta - The easy way to distribute updates.

Post by Narcolapser » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:14 am

So i've been working on this system github named Automatic Fiesta:
https://github.com/Narcolapser/automatic-fiesta

It's main feature is that it is a software distribution system for micropython nodes. I created it specifically for my ESP8266 boards. It also has a simple web server and telnet server. Between all these parts, you can easily re-program your ESP8266 in the field from your computer!

This is the basic idea:

1. Your node boots up and runs the boot.py script.
2. This script checks in with your Automatic Fiesta server (I personally use a Raspberry Pi) sending it the node's MAC address.
3. It then is given the files it is to have.
4. If you named one of them main.py, it runs those files!

I will warn you that this is my first beta with this system. There is still plenty of room for improvement, but the basic idea is there. Right now it specifically runs a fowl of the small amount of RAM on board the ESP8266 sometimes. So please, submit issues and pull requests as you run into problems!

dwight.hubbard

Re: Automatic Fiesta - The easy way to distribute updates.

Post by dwight.hubbard » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:49 am

I like what you have started.

Have you considered running redis and using the redis bindings I have working?

The redis protocol is a fairly simple socket protocol that's about as complex as as http.

The benefit is you could have a list of files in a redis key named by the mac address, which you could then iterate over so you would not need to pull down a complete json structure of everything that needs to be downloaded.
Narcolapser wrote:So i've been working on this system github named Automatic Fiesta:
https://github.com/Narcolapser/automatic-fiesta

It's main feature is that it is a software distribution system for micropython nodes. I created it specifically for my ESP8266 boards. It also has a simple web server and telnet server. Between all these parts, you can easily re-program your ESP8266 in the field from your computer!

This is the basic idea:

1. Your node boots up and runs the boot.py script.
2. This script checks in with your Automatic Fiesta server (I personally use a Raspberry Pi) sending it the node's MAC address.
3. It then is given the files it is to have.
4. If you named one of them main.py, it runs those files!

I will warn you that this is my first beta with this system. There is still plenty of room for improvement, but the basic idea is there. Right now it specifically runs a fowl of the small amount of RAM on board the ESP8266 sometimes. So please, submit issues and pull requests as you run into problems!