Wrapper package to flash esp8266

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
dwight.hubbard

Wrapper package to flash esp8266

Post by dwight.hubbard » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:57 pm

I am playing around a good deal with using cloudmanager to control a pool of micropython boards, which has me flashing a good number of esp8266 boards and configuring them to connect to my network and cloudmanager service.

So I figured I'd make the python package that I'm using available in case it's useful for anyone else.

The flash image is embedded in the package along with the utility scripts that do the flash and configuration. So it's basically self contained. Just plug the board into usb, pip install the package and run "flash_esp_image". The script does accept options to flash the board and enable webrepl instead of cloudmanger since that's also useful.

So far the utility has been tested and run on Mac/Linux using nodemcu and wemos d1 boards.

The package is at https://pypi.python.org/pypi/cloudmanag ... on-esp8266 and the source is at https://github.com/dwighthubbard/cloudm ... on-esp8266

dwight.hubbard

Re: Wrapper package to flash esp8266

Post by dwight.hubbard » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:51 pm

Just a note I had some issues flashing some newer nodemcu boards. The new boards needed to be flashed with a flash mode of dio to work properly.

So I added code to automatically retry the flash operation with a different flash_mode if the board doesn't flash properly with the defaults.

It now seems to work properly with all of my nodemcu and wemos boards.

dwight.hubbard

Re: Wrapper package to flash esp8266

Post by dwight.hubbard » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:31 am

I just noticed that my code updates to this tool have been published as dev packages, which pip ignores by default so installs have been getting a real old version of the tool.

I pushed a release package that should be able to automatically flash nodemcu, and wemosd1 boards. It can flash huzzah boards but I had to manually put them into flash mode prior to running the tool.