Esptool.py erase_flash or write flash does absolutely nothing

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
BurnSmell

Esptool.py erase_flash or write flash does absolutely nothing

Post by BurnSmell » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:03 pm

So i have a nodemcu 4MB V2 board that i'm trying to flash with Esptool and upload "esp8266 version 1.8.7 bin. So i have the firmware on the same folder as esptools and when i try to execute: "C:\Python27\Scripts>esptool.py -- port COM6 --baud 115200 erase_flash" and hit enter nothing happens, I just get a new line on the command prompt under windows 10. From what i understand i don't have to put it into flashing mode being a nodemcu, but i also try doing so with no results. same thing when i try to write_flash.. nothing at all happens just get a new line to type. also tried using the espflasher.. i get to successfully upload "something" but when i try to connect using putty i get nothing but gibberish at all baud rates, and the blue led on the board just flashes at a rapid rate.

SpotlightKid

Re: Esptool.py erase_flash or write flash does absolutely nothing

Post by SpotlightKid » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:51 am

The command line you have given contains an extra space between "--" and "port" that must not be there. With programs that follow the Unix conventions of command line arguments, a double dash ("--") on its own usually means the end of the command line options and the beginning of the positional arguments. So in your command, everything after the "--", even the "port", is interpreted as positional command arguments, which isn't what you want. Please check your command line for correctness.