ESP8266 crashes serial connection after Micropython flash

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
anthony420

ESP8266 crashes serial connection after Micropython flash

Post by anthony420 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:39 am

This is my first post, and please excuse my lack of knowledge. I'm an engineer and playing with esp8266 applications in making simple IOT WIFI sensor nodes and learning Python. Now to my problem. I have several esp8266 development boards, two with CH340g chips and two with SILAB 2012. All of my boards are Chinese clones. I was able to easily flash micropython on both CH340g boards with my Mac and had no trouble using the ampy utilities to load and manage programs. I have also no issues with the REPL. When I try to do the same on my two 2102 equipped boards, it appears that micropython flashes properly, I get no errors and a message stating it is done. When I try to access the REPL, however, things go bad and the Mac Terminal Screen program crashes. I also tried using a serial application with the same results. As far as I can tell, the problem is related to the 2102 but I've tried everything i can think of and I'm out of ideas. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Anthony
P.S. I wanted to include a picture of my board, but don't believe this forum supports attaching photos...

Razzburry_Pie

Re: ESP8266 crashes serial connection after Micropython flash

Post by Razzburry_Pie » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:21 am

I have the exact same problem -- it's a HiLetgo 12E NodeMCU dev board. Has the SiLabs CP2102 chip. I flashed MicroPython v1.8.7. I use Win 7, a USB cable and PuTTY. Here's the output I get:

Performing initial setup
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "_boot.py", line 11, in <module>
File "inisetup.py", line 38, in setup
File "inisetup.py", line 9, in wifi
OSError: can't set AP config
could not open file 'boot.py' for reading
could not open file 'main.py' for reading

>>> <-- the cursor is dead. It does not respond to the keyboard in PuTTY. The 12E board seems hung up.

Razzburry_Pie

Re: ESP8266 crashes serial connection after Micropython flash

Post by Razzburry_Pie » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:49 am

Follow up: fixed the dead cursor issue by turning off parity and flow control in the PuTTY terminal. As for the missing boot.py, I tried another board and it works fine. I suspect the first 12E board has a memory issue and boot.py gets lost or corrupted when flashed.