Reference design released

Questions and discussion about running MicroPython on a micro:bit board.
Target audience: MicroPython users with a micro:bit.
deshipu

Reference design released

Post by deshipu » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:50 pm

I thought that someone will post this here earlier, but I guess everyone are busy reading it...

The BBC finally got to releasing the technical details behind the micro:bit hardware. It's available at http://tech.microbit.org

Personally I was unable to find the schematic image for the original micro:bit anywhere there (there is only a description of some of the connections in words), but I guess it's coming?

titimoby

Re: Reference design released

Post by titimoby » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:19 am

It looks like content is added everyday.
I don't know what precise schematic you are looking for, but there is quite a long list of links to schematic and datasheet at the bottom of the page http://tech.microbit.org/hardware/schematic/

deshipu

Post by deshipu » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:17 am

I mean the schematic of the original Micro:bit, of course, and it's obviously not there.

titimoby

Post by titimoby » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:00 am

you're right.
Hope this is just a matter of time.

titimoby

Post by titimoby » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:40 am

I don't have enough knowledge in that area, but on the micro:bit community Slack, a discussion just said all files are here.
Could you join the discussion on Slack or just explain me what is missing in your opinion?
I think it's important because if this little board failed to be truly opened it won’t be such a worldwide tool.

deshipu

Post by deshipu » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:00 am

titimoby wrote:I don't have enough knowledge in that area, but on the micro:bit community Slack, a discussion just said all files are here.
Could you join the discussion on Slack or just explain me what is missing in your opinion?
I think it's important because if this little board failed to be truly opened it won’t be such a worldwide tool.
Well, as I already said, there is no schematic or board design for the original Micro:bit. There is no schematic at all anywhere on the page called "schematic", and in the github reposiotories at https://github.com/microbit-foundation/ there is only a schematic and board design files for a "reference design", which is completely different from the original micro:bit. This is completely unhelpful for designing any circuits that are supposed to be connected with the original micro:bit.

titimoby

Post by titimoby » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:01 pm

Oh... you mean the micro:bit is not the first implementation of the reference design?
You made it crystal clear.