Instance attributes via C-API

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
seb

Instance attributes via C-API

Post by seb » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:30 am

Hello,

im trying to implement a class by using the micropython c-api that needs to expose instance attributes for reading to the python domain. What is the prefered/most efficiant way to accomplish this? I found no example where instance attributes are used and exposed to the python domain within the existing micropython c-code.

Setting a ".attr" function in the type definition seems not to be a good approach, since i then have to handle all requests for attributes AND methods by myself and the "locals_dict" is used to only store class constants/attributes/methods.

Regards,
Sebastian

dhylands

Re: Instance attributes via C-API

Post by dhylands » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:12 pm

From python, you can call a function to get data from c-land. Is that what you're asking?

seb

Post by seb » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:00 am

Thanks for the quick reply. But what i mean is to add attributes to classes that are implemented in c. Maybe the following example describes better what im looking for:
C-Code

Code: Select all

STATIC mp_obj_t test_method(mp_obj_t self_in){
    return mp_const_none;
}
STATIC MP_DEFINE_CONST_FUN_OBJ_1(test_method_obj, test_method);

mp_map_elem_t test_class_locals_table[] = {
		{ MP_OBJ_NEW_QSTR(MP_QSTR_test_method), (mp_obj_t)&test_method_obj },
};

STATIC MP_DEFINE_CONST_DICT(test_class_locals, test_class_locals_table);

const mp_obj_type_t test_class = {
    .base = { &mp_type_type },
    .name = MP_QSTR_TestClass,
    .make_new = test_class_make_new,
    .locals_dict = (mp_obj_t)&test_class_locals,
    // .attr is actually not just about load/store of attributes, but also about load/store of methods. It basically replaces the locals_dict if set if i understood it right from mp_load_method_maybe(...) in runtime.c
};
// Register type somewhere ...
Python Script

Code: Select all

# Module import ...
t = TestClass()
t.test_method()
print(t.test_attribute) # <---- How to add per instance attributes in c-land to be able to read/write them in python
t.test_attribute = 42 # <----- How to add per instance attributes in c-land to be able to read/write them in python
Of course getters and setters could be an other solution, but im reimplementing an API that should be consistant to the original one.

Sebastian

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:11 am

I think we understood your intention. As you've found, the MicroPython way of accessing attributes is via methods, as per for example the Pin class. I gather that this is at least partly for performance reasons. In MicroPython code it's faster to access a get/set method than using an @property decorator to access attributes which it seems requires a costly lookup. Perhaps the same would apply when accessing C classes if attributes were exposed directly?

In any event the core developers have standardised on this approach.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

seb

Post by seb » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:36 pm

Ok then i try to stick to setters/getters. But in general i think it would be desirable to directly support definition of instance attributes in c code (Or maybe there is a way i have not discovered yet). The Pin class actually uses class attributes (e.g. the "Pin.board" attribute) which are constant in c and not specific to a certain class instance.

Thanks anyway!

dhylands

Post by dhylands » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:50 pm

So yeah, you can do attrs in C as well.

One of the members in a mpy type is called attr. So if you provide an attr method, it will be called to get/set/delete attributes.
https://github.com/micropython/micropyt ... #L466-L477

One place you can see this used is in uctypes:
https://github.com/micropython/micropyt ... pes.c#L645

Using localdict wound up being more convenient for most of the uses (most places have a fixed set of attributes).

You can use localdict to point to a python object and modify that python object in C. The downside is that the C code doesn't know when the python code accesses/modifies the object.