Considering M2M communication protocols

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
kfricke

Considering M2M communication protocols

Post by kfricke » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:11 pm

In a neighbor thread Lysenko said this to Pythoncoder...
Lysenko wrote:Your MQTT problems were nothing to do with your skill level IMO, they were to do with running a connection based SCADA protocol on top of an incompletely implemented socket stack. There is nothing you could have done besides fully implement setsockopt (in C) or use a connectionless protocol like CoAP (in Python). Personally I think that the latter is a better tool for sensor nets anyway.
...which is a good summary to the point for M2M communication protocols and also refers to the heart of current problems on our embedded platforms: TCP sockets seem to not be fully implemented as we know them on Posix environments with full-fledged networking stacks.

I am no expert on CoAP but have used MQTT in several production environments (none of which are MicroPython). Would not MQTT-SN fit better in the embedded world, because it is not UDP/IP based as CoAP? MQTT-SN even has suggestions for transport on ZigBee networks, sending it over Pythoncoders's NRF24L driver would also sound possible from my naive point of view.

rcolistete

Re: Considering M2M communication protocols

Post by rcolistete » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:38 pm

Anybody here planning to implement CoAP and/or MQTT-SN on MicroPython ?

CoAP as requested before :
http://forum.micropython.org/viewtopic. ... 216&p=7389
My "MicroPython Samples". My "MicroPython Firmwares" with many options (double precision, ulab, etc).

platforma

Post by platforma » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:22 am

As mentioned in the older post, the library https://github.com/chrysn/aiocoap looks like a good candidate for a port, and only has asyncio as a dependency. So far nobody took on the work, and since it's not on the developers' list at the moment, I think this will need a push from the community.

kfricke

Post by kfricke » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:54 am

Or push it "into" the community, as the developers are busy with more important things.