ftp upload via cell network

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
katesfb

ftp upload via cell network

Post by katesfb » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:40 pm

Hi,
I am new to micropython but i have used python and currently make extensive use of arduino based systems.

A lot of our projects involve remote environmental data logging and ftp upload to a cloud sever. We have two general aproaches to do this this;
1) raspberry pi/miniPC running a python script and uploading to the cloud via a cell modem (fast, reliable, with biult in libraries to do the ftp uploading but highish power consumption).

2) arduino based system uploading via a gprs baord essentially using AT commands via an ftp library (E.G Mayfly data logger with GPRSbee) - low power consumtion, ideal for remote solar powered systems but uploads (particularly of large amounts of data, >100kb) can take a while and can be a bit patchy in terms of reliabilty.

It seems to me that that the pyboard would be the perfect compromise - so would this be possible using micropython and the bybaord - i.e do libraries exist to handle the ftp uploads and what sort of GPRS hardware would be recommended. We currently use sim900 based modems with connection via UART for the arduino based systems.

Any help is much apprecited.

Cheers.

katesfb

Re: ftp upload via cell network

Post by katesfb » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:26 pm

Anybody?

SpotlightKid

Re: ftp upload via cell network

Post by SpotlightKid » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:12 pm