Supporting CircuitPython

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
pythoncoder

Supporting CircuitPython

Post by pythoncoder » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:07 am

Given the advent of CircuitPython I can envisage a situation where users come here for support. I can see three options. What does the team think is the best way to handle such queries?
  • Direct them to Adafruit.
  • Ask them to install MicroPython and try again.
  • We install CircuitPython, learn the API, and do our best to support them.
The second option requires possibly novice users to re-code to our API. The third requires us to learn the CircuitPython API and either have two sets of hardware or regularly change firmware. Neither option strikes me as very satisfactory.

A similar situation arose with PyCom and a consensus emerged that it is in everyone's interest to direct people to their own support site.

This is not an attempt to "get at" Adafruit, a company I admire and whose products I use. It is simply a practical question.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

Turbinenreiter

Re: Supporting CircuitPython

Post by Turbinenreiter » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:52 am

We point them to Adafruit AND do our best to support them. The API differences are small anyway.

deshipu

Post by deshipu » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:59 am

I think that the best option for the growth of the MicroPython community would be to always ask them to try MicroPython, if only the device they are using is supported (as it is in case of ESP8266). The reason for that is trivial -- it will help grow the community *and* make MicroPython better. If they try it and the bug is still there, that's an opportunity to fix MicroPython and make it even better. If they try it and the bug is not there, they might decide to switch to MicroPython, as it works for them, and our community has grown. The advanced users will probably keep using both forks, but they will still stay here and provide their expertise and ideas -- whereas if we chase them away, they are lost for us.

jpj

Post by jpj » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:48 pm

I'll add a comment as an end user and beginner. The first I heard of MicroPython was after watching a video tutorial on the Adafruit web site. That video directed me to this forum where I began reading and learning, and ultimately ordered a Pyboard with enclosure.

The support here has been excellent. I sincerely appreciate this community tolerating my novice level questions. I think my first post was about an error message from "import helloworld.py" when I didn't know enough to omit the ".py" from the filename. Later I had trouble with the ampy tool and Dave Hylands helped me learn and use his rshell tool. My latest issue was pure user error by having two devices with the same address on an I2C bus, which deshipu was kind enough to help me with as I was using his uRTC driver. When I post a question here I know it will be read and replied to by the MicroPython experts and in a timely fashion.

The importance of Adafruit's influence on MicroPython cannot be understated. They have a lot of hardware running MicroPython/CircuitPython and more is on the way. They have produced many video tutorials that I've found extremely valuable, and those videos influence people to buy their hardware. It appears Adafruit will direct customers to install CircuitPython going forward. Their new Circuit Playground device appears to be aimed at the educational market like the Micro:bit. I heard in a Adafruit video that CircuitPython will be pre-installed on the Circuit Playground before it ships.

There is the possibility that an entirely new generation will be learning Python and micro controllers on an Adafruit device running CircuitPython. Adafruit will have the hardware, technical and educational support. I can't predict where the growth of MicroPython and CircuitPython will lead, but I believe Adafruit will be a major influence.

If CircuitPython users come here for support in the future I think they should be helped, if possible. I don't think the MicroPython development team should all order Adafruit devices and install CircuitPython so they can support it. Directing users elsewhere for support could potentially diminish growth of MicroPython and possibly the Pyboard buyer / user base.

kamikaze

Post by kamikaze » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:42 pm

Concentrate on MicroPython and PyBoard/PyBoard 2 evolution. Don't forget about marketing and PR. People should know about MicroPython existance, compare and choose their way. This is a MicroPython community, not a CircusPython.

Actually I don't like the way how they are trying to earn some points by using OpenSource projects, then separating. While they block their help (informational) to others like one hisotry with OpenMV I know.

I'm not a MicroPython/PyBoard project member so I can say what I think freely.

deshipu

Post by deshipu » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:30 pm

kamikaze wrote: Actually I don't like the way how they are trying to earn some points by using OpenSource projects, then separating. While they block their help (informational) to others like one hisotry with OpenMV I know.
What do you mean by "block their help (informational)"? That forum thread you linked to only has one mention of Adafruit, and that's just about them not being interested in selling a third party product in their store. Can't see anything about blocking help. Can you elaborate on the story, it sounds very interesting.

kfricke

Post by kfricke » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:04 pm

In my humble opinion everyone has the good right to fork software if licenses permit and build a commercial product around it. But this comes with the burden to support ones incarnation. As long as Adafruit is not acting against this burden no one should think or discuss about them negatively.

I also can totally understand why they did the fork: The endless discussion about APIs and thereby no static foundation to build upon. This is a topic we might discuss here to give the maintainers feedback on the way to go or set higher priorities to avoid situations like this!