Windows Debugging - embedded target

C programming, build, interpreter/VM.
Target audience: MicroPython Developers.
adamk

Windows Debugging - embedded target

Post by adamk » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:34 pm

Hi all,

Has anyone been successful in doing some embedded debugging? Specifically in windows? I'm trying to use Atollic though without much success :(

Simsys

Re: Windows Debugging - embedded target

Post by Simsys » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:25 pm

What do you want to do? You want to use a c/c++ debugger to debug Micropython scripts? That is not possible. You can use this environment to debug the Micropython runtime.

As I understood, there is at the moment no way to do symbolic debugging with Micropython on embedded devices. I think there are in theory two possibilities to realize such an environment:

1. Develop a python remote debugger for embedded targets. This is very complex task and it will probable fail because of the limited possibilities on the target.
2. Develop a stub, which run on the target and emulate all hardware depended actions. Develop a replacement on the host pc, which forward all hardware actions to the embedded stub. Use standard python on the host to develop the application and a standard ide/debugger. This solution will have much restrictions in relation to the real time behavior of the system. But this solution is eventually easier to realize and could be useful in many situations.

Is there anybody out there, who thought about these questions?

Simsys