Smart gamepad

Showroom for MicroPython related hardware projects.
Target audience: Users wanting to show off their project!
fma

Smart gamepad

Post by fma » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:19 pm

Hi!

I'm working on a funny project: building and coding an Hexapod robot (sorry, the wiki page is in french; but as we now have a multi-language wiki, I'm going to translate it in english).

I built a small prototype, and started to code the control software. I can now move the body, and make it walk (with 3 different gaits). I will soon make tests with RC servos, to build the final bigger version.

At first, I was planning to control it with micropython, but I'm not sure it will be possible, at least with my code: it looks more and more like a generic multi-legs robot framework, and is now too big for a pyboard. I think I will use a Rapsberry Pi, instead...

But I'm also working on the input device, which needs to be smart enough to provide easy access to all my planned Hexapod features (move/walk/work with a grip/camera...). This part will use Micropython!

I have 2 main ways to do that: buy a good gamepad (by good I mean with precise analog joysticks), like the PSx ones, and replace the electronic with a pyboard and some wireless device, or build one from sratch. The last solution would allow me to have as much joysticks as I want, and, more interesting, a LCD screen for gamepad/hexapod configuration/feedback. Such project is a good inspiration.

So, I just wanted to get some advices about this gamepad project. Feel free to comment. And if someone already started a similar project, I would be very interested!
Frédéric

dhylands

Re: Smart gamepad

Post by dhylands » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:54 pm

I just saw a demo of a Plasma cutter, and they used a wireless XBox controller plugged into the PC as a pendant.

I was thinking that would also be cool for my CNC router that I'm putting together. I know lynxmotion sells a PS2 controller that has a little breakout board for the wireless dongle: http://www.lynxmotion.com/p-869-ps2-rob ... er-v3.aspx

fma

Post by fma » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:05 pm

Yes, I saw this controller. But I don' think it is an original PS2 controller. I'm looking for a Dualshock 2, as it is said to be very accurate.
Frédéric

kfricke

Post by kfricke » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:57 pm

How about a cable? They would not cause havoc in test environments and do avoid complexity!

Wii-Remote Nunchuck-Addon including UEXT adapter

My small MicroPython "library". This controller does use I²C (mostly stable on 200kHz only!) which makes it easy implemented on all platforms.

fma

Post by fma » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:03 pm

kfricke wrote:How about a cable? They would not cause havoc in test environments and do avoid complexity!
8-)
Wii-Remote Nunchuck-Addon including UEXT adapter

My small MicroPython "library". This controller does use I²C (mostly stable on 200kHz only!) which makes it easy implemented on all platforms.
I need much more buttons/joysticks to drive my hexapod ;)
Frédéric