SD Card not working on v1.1 HW?

The official pyboard running MicroPython.
This is the reference design and main target board for MicroPython.
You can buy one at the store.
Target audience: Users with a pyboard.
mvdw

SD Card not working on v1.1 HW?

Post by mvdw » Tue May 24, 2016 11:59 pm

Hi all:

I have a couple of v1.1 hardware boards, and the SD card doesn't seem to mount at all when I plug a card in. I have updated to the latest stable firmware, with the same result.

My v1.0 hardware boards behave as I expect - my computer sees the SD card when the SD card is plugged in on boot.

Has something changed with the new hardware/firmware, or am I doing it wrong, or could my boards be faulty (surely not both??).

Cheers,
MvdW

pythoncoder

Re: SD Card not working on v1.1 HW?

Post by pythoncoder » Wed May 25, 2016 5:29 am

Check the boot.py file on the SD card. Ensure it has the lines

Code: Select all

import pyb
pyb.usb_mode('CDC+MSC')
and try again.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

mvdw

Post by mvdw » Wed May 25, 2016 7:06 am

I tried again; it's irrelevant what is on the SD card as the micropython board doesn't even seem to see it. When I attach with rshell and do a "boards" command I get the following:

pyboard @ COM4 connected Dirs: /flash /pyboard/flash
on the v1.1 hardware, and:

pyboard @ COM6 connected Dirs: /flash /sd /pyboard/flash /pyboard/sd
on the v1.0 hardware. Both with the same SD card attached, both freshly re-imaged with the latest DFU.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Sat May 28, 2016 10:05 am

In that case I'm afraid I'm baffled; I've used several V1.1 boards without issue. With a V1.1 Pyboard here I get

/home/adminpete> boards
pyboard @ /dev/pyboard connected Dirs: /flash /sd /pyboard/flash /pyboard/sd
My only thought is to try SD cards from different manufacturers. Or perhaps the connector is dirty or contaminated? Maybe someone else will suggest a way forwards.
Peter Hinch

mvdw

Post by mvdw » Sun May 29, 2016 9:59 pm

My only thought is to try SD cards from different manufacturers. Or perhaps the connector is dirty or contaminated? Maybe someone else will suggest a way forwards.
I tried several different cards with the same result; the way forward has been to desolder the v1.1 board from my motherboard and solder on a v1.0 board. I only need one to be working, but (naively it turns out) assumed that my brand new v1.1 boards would be better than the old v1.0 boards for this application... :lol:

UPDATE: I believe the safe-wash solution I was washing the boards in after soldering has contaminated the sd card socket. I have since flushed the socket with isopropanol and the boards appear to be working now. Also after flushing the serial port changed, which was strange...

MORAL: Don't use the environmentally-friendly detergent-based solution to wash your boards with the micro-sd card connectors on them ;)

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Tue May 31, 2016 4:31 am

Ha! That's why I used the word "contaminated": I once had this symptom after removing flux with IPA - evidently I'd transferred some of the flux into the connector. Washing the connector with more IPA fixed the problem.

Glad you found it ;)
Peter Hinch

chrismas9

Post by chrismas9 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:44 am

I always use Saferinse after Safewash when I do aqueous cleaning and haven't had any residue problems. Alternatively I have found hot water rinsing and compressed air drying works well. It depends on how good your tap water is.