How to use the pyboard usb host function

The official pyboard running MicroPython.
This is the reference design and main target board for MicroPython.
You can buy one at the store.
Target audience: Users with a pyboard.
skylin008

How to use the pyboard usb host function

Post by skylin008 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:03 am

Hi,every one ! How to use the pyboard usb host function to be connected the printer.TKS!

torwag

Re: How to use the pyboard usb host function

Post by torwag » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:33 am

Hi,
we are talking here about a microcontroller, there is nothing ready like a printer driver.
You would have to start at a much lower level, talking to a USB device. This is not an easy task, since different printers use different driver principles. Beside that, different manufactures follow/implement those methods more or less accurate.
What works on one printer might not work at all on another printer.
Check openprinter.org to get an idea about the complexity of printer drivers.

Your best bet would be trying to get a generic printer driver working, many printers support those drivers as a subset of their own function-set. You might not get the best quality and all features, but it might work. Look out for generic PLC or generic postscript printer drivers. However, this only tells you how it work in principle. As I said above, there is nothing ready, you would have to build it up from the ground. Do you might like to share what you plan to do? Maybe there are other solutions. Frankly speaking I would go with a RPi if I would have a task like connecting a printer.