Pyboard pins???

The official pyboard running MicroPython.
This is the reference design and main target board for MicroPython.
You can buy one at the store.
Target audience: Users with a pyboard.
harambecute101

Pyboard pins???

Post by harambecute101 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:42 am

Hi,
I was wondering why the pyboard pins are name X and Y, instead of A and Ds like those on an Arduino.
Is there a reason for this? I did hear something about how the "x" and "y" halves of the board are like two different boards, but I don't get why the board is split into half. Somebody help me please!

shaoziyang

Re: Pyboard pins???

Post by shaoziyang » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:54 pm

There are some way to define a pin, such as:

LED1=Pin(Pin.cpu.A13, Pin.OUT_PP)
LED1=Pin("PA13", Pin.OUT_PP)

kfricke

Post by kfricke » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:47 pm

Basically the Y half is the north side of the board where the USB connector is attached. The X half is the south side where you also find the servo pins in the second and third row, as well as the "south bank" pins not found on the Y (north) half.

Regarding the "half boards", one could build a "half sized" skins (you call them shields on arduino) and rotate them on the X or on thy Y half of the board.

Check the official store and see what solutions may be done.

dhylands

Post by dhylands » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:18 pm

You can also use a dictionary, or a mapping function to map pin names to pins.

chrismas9

Post by chrismas9 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:29 pm

A and D refer to Analog and Digital pins on Arduino. They both belong to a single stacking shield connector set.

X and Y are different. They can be used for one large stacking board (skin) or two small ones. X1-16 and Y1-16 share the same basic pinout including Power, Ground and Reset. X has extra features like DAC, Servo and quiet Analog on X17-24.

You can plug skins like LCD into either X or Y. But AMP must be in X because it needs DAC.

The advantage over a single stack like Arduino is that 2 skins don't share pins. Each gets its own Uart, SPI, I2C, PWM, ADC and GPIOs.