Firmware updates - where will they be?

Questions and discussion about The WiPy 1.0 board and CC3200 boards.
Target audience: Users with a WiPy 1.0 or CC3200 board.
mbirth

Firmware updates - where will they be?

Post by mbirth » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:01 pm

Will firmware updates for the WiPy be available from the main MicroPython download page or where should we keep an eye on?
pyBoard v1.0 + LCD32MKv1.0 | WiPy + Expansion Board | GitHub

Xykon

Re: Firmware updates - where will they be?

Post by Xykon » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:10 pm

I am in the process of updating the firmware...

This is a good start: https://github.com/micropython/micropyt ... ter/cc3200

I first tested this with my GHI CERB40 board which I had laying around, using the stmhal version build built and deployed without any issues and got me started which I had been waiting for a USB WIFI adapter to arrive (didn't know you needed that for the WiPi).

At the moment I got as far as building the firmware and uploading it via FTP. Board did a reset and is working again... now checking how to confirm it was actually updated.

I'm currently building this on Linux but will switch to my Windows 10 now to test up the official TI firmware flasher software... I hope the necessary port to trigger the boot-loader is easily accessible. I can give more information tomorrow as it's close to bed-team here for me and I'm playing Golf very early tomorrow.
Christian Ehlers - Pycom

danicampora

Post by danicampora » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:20 pm

I had been waiting for a USB WIFI adapter to arrive (didn't know you needed that for the WiPy).
That's not actually true, WiPy can do everything via Telnet. The serial connection is a nice to have, and can help while debugging, but it's not mandatory.

The way to update the WiPy is via the FTP server, it's all documented in: http://micropython.org/resources/docs/e ... er-the-air

(pyb module has been renamed to machine).

Software updates for the time being will be in: https://github.com/wipy/wipy/releases

I expect to release another update tomorrow along with the (finally) fixed documentation.

Cheers,
Daniel

danicampora

Post by danicampora » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:25 pm

Board did a reset and is working again... now checking how to confirm it was actually updated.
Do:

Code: Select all

import os
os.uname()
And check the build date...
I hope the necessary port to trigger the boot-loader is easily accessible.
SOP2 is on the test points on the bottom side of the PCB (hence not really easy accesible), serial connections to access the ROM bootloader are GP1 and GP2. I can send you a picture showing the position of SOP2 on the test points, but... why do you want to flash it using UniFLASH ?

Cheers,
Daniel