Network configuration with static DHCP lease failing

Questions and discussion about The WiPy 1.0 board and CC3200 boards.
Target audience: Users with a WiPy 1.0 or CC3200 board.
blueslow

Network configuration with static DHCP lease failing

Post by blueslow » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:55 pm

Hi

My router has DHCP enabled and it is also configured with WiPy's macid to provide a static DHCP lease 192.168.10.42, but when the WiPy negotiate the IP adress it gets 192.168.10.160. Is this a know bug, is static DCHP lease feature not implemented or something else?

Statement
wlan.ifconfig()
or
wlan.ifconfig('dhcp')
It doesn't matter it gives the same result.

Version info:
Platform WiPy
Phyton Version: 3.4.0,(3, 4, 0),
Fw version: 1.2.0

dhylands

Re: Network configuration with static DHCP lease failing

Post by dhylands » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:01 pm

Having the router assign the IP address based on the Mac address has nothing to do with the WiPy. If it's not working then the fault lies on the router end (since the WiPy is just using DHCP and using the DHCP address it gets assigned from the router.

You can also set the WiPy up to use a static address and not need to configure anything on the router.
See this post: http://forum.micropython.org/viewtopic. ... 7384#p7384 about how I setup static IP address on the WiPy.

blueslow

Re: Network configuration with static DHCP lease failing

Post by blueslow » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:29 pm

Yes I know I can give it a static IP but it is more practical to use a static DHCP lease because one often implement and test in one environment but use it in another.

*** Problem solved ***

The router provides static DHCP lease to other computer on the net without any problems. However this got me start thinking (happens sometimes :) ). Apparently there was another DHCP server running, now it is disabled permanently.

Thank you Dave.

*** Problem solved ***