NEW: WiPy 2.0 - shipping 10 Oct 2016

Questions and discussion about The WiPy 1.0 board and CC3200 boards.
Target audience: Users with a WiPy 1.0 or CC3200 board.
Roberthh

Re: NEW: WiPy 2.0 - shipping 10 Oct 2016

Post by Roberthh » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:28 am

What I can read between the lines in this link: The statement of a 1 km range is based on rumour and whishful thinking.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:07 am

Interesting but not very informative. As for the LoPy I would be disappointed if it failed to achieve 1KM. That is the point of LoRa and much greater ranges have been achieved by skilled radio amateurs with high gain antennas.

The 1KM claim for WiFi range in a regulatory-compliant piece of kit is a brave one to make in sales literature. Buyers are not going to expect to erect Yagi aerials on masts in the Sahara to achieve it.

As for people achieving such ranges with the ESP8266, I've watched that YouTube video. 1.1KM barely worked, with plenty of dropped packets, under outdoor line-of-sight conditions in an environment which was probably fairly quiet from an RF point of view. Typical usage it was not, and my own experience with the ESP8266 under more normal conditions suggests its performance in respect of range is as one would expect. 100M on a good day, intermittently, if you're lucky.

I will be astonished if the new device gains regulatory approval and achieves anything like the claimed range under typical operating conditions.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

rcolistete

Post by rcolistete » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:27 am

pythoncoder wrote:I will be astonished if the new device gains regulatory approval and achieves anything like the claimed range under typical operating conditions.
Email from Pycom, "Project Update #23: LoPy – the LoRa, WiFi and Bluetooth IoT development platform by Pycom", October 10th 2016, and "Project Update #25: LoPy – the LoRa, WiFi and Bluetooth IoT development platform by Pycom", from October 16th 2016, say :
"...The LoPy successfully passed the FCC/CE certifications..."
"...the LoPy (and new WiPy) both passed FCC/CE certification..."
My "MicroPython Samples". My "MicroPython Firmwares" with many options (double precision, ulab, etc).

Lysenko

Post by Lysenko » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:37 pm

The ESP32 underlying it quotes 21dBm max transmit and -98dBm receive (DSSS @1Mbps).

Using a naive calculation of free space loss based on: -L = 32.5 + 20 * log(1) + 20 * log(2415) solves -L ~100dBm therefore with ideal conditions 1km might be achieved with a typical ~-15dB margin if antenna gain/loss essentially cancel out. You would still be closer to 50m for a 54Mbps OFDM link of course, but 1Mbps DSSS is still standards compliant "WiFi".

Note: I'm not expecting an ESP32 to manage a useful 1km WiFi link (not without Mesh anyway), I'm just speculating how one might derive that range figure. I'm skeptical about the -98dBm, but that's an Espressif figure, not a WiPy one.

danicampora

Post by danicampora » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:09 pm

Hello,

Apologies for the silence, as some of you have already noticed we have been super busy the last weeks with the manufacturing of the boards and lately shipping them the Kickstarter backers.

The WiFi 1KM range is a feature of the ESP32 and it works by putting it into a special mode (while still being WiFi compliant). We will release more details shortly.

Regarding the open source discussion, Pymakr is going to be released today, we wanted to clean up the code first.

It's not our intention to split the MicroPython community into 2, but since there are many things which are too specific to our boards, specially now that the software is in an early stage, we are encouraging our backers to go to forum.pycom.io with all their support requests. At this moment we just don't have enough resources to post in both forums. I hope that this is understandable.

Cheers,
Daniel

jgmdavies

Post by jgmdavies » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:28 pm

Many thanks Daniel.

The link in your signature doesn't seem to work - http://www.wipy.io ?

Jim

bmarkus

Post by bmarkus » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:36 pm

pythoncoder wrote:Interesting but not very informative. As for the LoPy I would be disappointed if it failed to achieve 1KM. That is the point of LoRa and much greater ranges have been achieved by skilled radio amateurs with high gain antennas.
We reached 134km distance with LoRa a week ago tracking a CESSNA airplane. No directional antenna used. Gateway was a professional telco-grade Kerlink equipment, GPS tracker was inside of cockpit with small omni-directional antenna, far from optimal installation. Still radio link was not at the limit, distance was limited by the horizon. You can read details here:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/tracking ... =prof-post
Tiny Core Linux (piCore) developer
HAM radio call: HA5DI (Béla)

Frida

Post by Frida » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:59 pm

jgmdavies wrote:Many thanks Daniel.

The link in your signature doesn't seem to work - http://www.wipy.io ?

Jim
it has changed to
https://www.pycom.io/
Yes Frida is my watchdog!

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:29 am

danicampora wrote:... we are encouraging our backers to go to forum.pycom.io with all their support requests. At this moment we just don't have enough resources to post in both forums...
In this case I think it is in everyone's interest to make it clear that this subforum is unofficial. Can I suggest that the title be changed to something like "The WiPy - unofficial discussion" and a permanent message be displayed pointing users to your official support forum.

This should reduce much of the existing frustration and help preserve the reputation of both communities. Hopefully you will then be able to offer an adequate level of official support for the WiPy.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.