NEW: WiPy 2.0 - shipping 10 Oct 2016

Questions and discussion about The WiPy 1.0 board and CC3200 boards.
Target audience: Users with a WiPy 1.0 or CC3200 board.
beyonlo

Re: NEW: WiPy 2.0 - shipping 10 Oct 2016

Post by beyonlo » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:35 pm

Hello Dani Campora.

Are you thinking that we are idiots?
danicampora wrote: It's not our intention to split the MicroPython community into 2, but since there are many things which are too specific to our boards.
Yes, of course the your idea is to split the both: community and code. Please, check your attitudes:
1. Do you just create another forum to support without telling us that this forum is not longer official. This is a missing of respect.
2. "there are many things which are too specific to our boards." But for this reason there are in this forum the title "Boards Running Micropython" where there are things specific for each board.
danicampora wrote: At this moment we just don't have enough resources to post in both forums. I hope that this is understandable.
Well, if you don't have resources, why you have spend time creating and configuring a new forum if there are one exclusive for WiPy boards? And is so simple to add a title for another, like as LoPy and SiPy.

No matter about pycom, you need to respect to the community, we are not idiots to accept this kind of the false apologies. I bought many WiPy and will buy the LoPy and I would like that you stop to split the community and the code.

If you have a decent perception and intention you will turn off the pycom.io forum and back to original official forum for all boards that are running micropython. Well, you don't have to do that, but if you think about the community and not just the pycom.io you will think about this words.

If you have today the pycom.io is in large part because you started using a free and open source micropython. So please, be a decent person and open all kind of source running in (and with/to) the pycom boards and let us (community) help too all grow together. I really have a great and large projects to use LoPy and SiPy, but with your attitudes I really are thinking if I will continue with you. And I will pass this message for all people I know and are my friends (that like community) that are using lopy boards.

deshipu

Post by deshipu » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:42 pm

Hey, @beyonlo, no need to get aggressive. There is a lot of room in this community for everyone, and it's not "all in or bust". It's very easy to attack someone who does something, and tell them they are not doing enough. But the fact is, that they are doing infinitely more good than all the others out there who do literally nothing. If you are so eager to fight for a better world, why don't you make something yourself?

I think it's perfectly fine to have different parties involved with the MicroPython community in varying degrees, and for that to change over time. Attacking someone who got involved a lot, but later decided to move away a bit is counter-productive -- it's only going to push them away further. I don't want to be a part of a community that acts like this. I hope for it to be friendly and welcoming to everyone, no matter how much time and resources they are willing to devote to it.

I'm not a fan of WiPy myself, and I'm complaining about it here and there. But that's not to attack the creators, who put a lot of work both into their product, and into the MicroPython project itself. It's rather in hopes that the feedback might help them improve things, if they want to do it. I also don't really feel very entitled to that support, which is somewhat lacking. I took part in the WiPy kickstarter to help the community grow, and only as a bonus to get a nice MicroPython board. I think that this helped the project grow and improve -- for instance, a lot of work has been done with the machine API. So all in all, I'm very grateful for pycom and their boards.

marfis

Post by marfis » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:34 pm

I fully agree with @deshipu. There is some serious pycom bashing going on this forum.

Fact is that pycom has:
- sponsored Damien to develop the thread module and released that for the general community
- initiated and supported the machine API (that is now the base of the running API discussion)
- created the first single chip wifi uPy board
- shipped the "latest-and-greatest" (apparently) IoT MCU with uPy support

that's a lot. Not everything may be perfect, but as @deshipu said, it's always easy to critisice people for what they are doing...

Regarding forums - I'd like to make a comparison:
What if you buyed an Arduino compatible board - would you first seek support on the manufactures or on the arduino website? Do you think that if a manufacturer creates a forum for their boards, that would split the arduino community?

I really hope there will be dozends new uPy boards popping up in the near future from other (big!) manufacturers that may or may not have forums on their own. And that this forum remains a friendly and cooperative place.

beyonlo

Post by beyonlo » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:53 pm

Hi all.

Yes, you are all right people. May be I was waiting more and more becouse I like so much the pycom boards, but he already make so much for the community and I don't see that. Yes, to get a different direction is not necessary bad, may be can be better, like as the example of Arduino board - I don't see in that way.
Well, I don't know If Dani Campora will read this message, but I would like to say him my apologies. I'm so sorry, my attack was unnecessary and with desrespect for the community and for this forum. The fact is that I'm really very grateful for pycom and their boards too.

So agaim, apologies for Dani Campora, this forum and the micropython community.

I love micropython.

Thank you.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:34 am

My sole concern is clarity. Users of the forum should know which topics get official support. And potential buyers of products offering MicroPython should be aware whether the code is open source. This second point is vitally important in my view.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

marfis

Post by marfis » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:22 pm

pythoncoder wrote:My sole concern is clarity. Users of the forum should know which topics get official support. And potential buyers of products offering MicroPython should be aware whether the code is open source. This second point is vitally important in my view.
Fully agree on this one.

Somewhen this forum must decide how they cope with the increasing number of uPy boards and how the support structure is organized.

Perhaps one approach would be to have 2 categories: The existing solution, a set of "official" uPy boards that gets additional attention from core developers and are listed as separate entries on this forum resp. in the github repository.

And then there are all the other boards where support must be given by the individual manufacturer. Questions may be asked on this forum but with lower priority.

That would have the benefit that the "official" boards like the pyBoard have a real marketing advantage against upcoming clones of other boards. That might be important to further secure the funding of uPy in the long run (I bought a lot of PyBoards for private and professional use precisely for that reason).

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:36 am

I agree a distinction should be drawn and made very clear. But I'd suggest that it should be based on whether the source for the port is located in the MicroPython Github repository. If it is (implying open source), it can be supported by core developers, the community, or by yourself. If it isn't, it's a case of caveat emptor.

Then it's up to the user to determine whether it's open source. If it is, does it have a supporting community? If the code is proprietary they must assess the quality of manufacturer support and the risk of the manufacturer going out of business or changing commercial direction; or charging for upgrades or support. The usual closed source hazards.

I wouldn't use something as complex as MicroPython as a hobbyist, let alone for any commercial purpose, without it being open source and being backed by a strong community with active lead developers.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

jgmdavies

Post by jgmdavies » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:14 pm

Exciting open source news
to come next week from Pycom?

https://forum.pycom.io/topic/105/exciti ... ource-news

jgmdavies

Post by jgmdavies » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:07 pm

We will be making all Pycom Firmware Open source.
Just seen at https://forum.pycom.io/topic/110/hello- ... e-to-pycom

Lysenko

Post by Lysenko » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:13 pm

jgmdavies wrote:
We will be making all Pycom Firmware Open source.
Just seen at https://forum.pycom.io/topic/110/hello- ... e-to-pycom
Trying to keep an ESP32 port proprietary was never going to work and interfacing to a SX1272 over SPI isn't rocket science either. Libelium have been using those chips in WaspMotes for quite a while. Lots guidance to be gleaned via that route. RN2483 is another option, as is the CC112x.