What exactly are LoRaWAN service providers needed for?

Questions and discussion about The WiPy 1.0 board and CC3200 boards.
Target audience: Users with a WiPy 1.0 or CC3200 board.
kfricke

What exactly are LoRaWAN service providers needed for?

Post by kfricke » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:14 pm

As a backer of the upcoming LoPy board from the WiPy makers (Pycom) i am very interested in this new technology. Personally i do not have any background regarding LoRaWAN and long-range wireless technologies.

My use-case will be one LoPy on my bike and the second as my private LoRaWAN gateway at home.

There are several service providers for LoRaWAN one can register to. So they seem to provide "publicly subscribable" networks, which one can use to access the internet from their device? So in other words they would provide gateways one can connect to in case you do not have your own LoRa WAN infrastructure available!?
What other services do/will they provide?

deshipu

Re: What exactly are LoRaWAN service providers needed for?

Post by deshipu » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:48 pm

As far as I can tell, they provide the LoRaWAN stations with large coverage. I know that Swisscom is doing that here in Zürich, and that it plans to cover pretty much the whole city.

bmarkus

Post by bmarkus » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:58 pm

At the beginning of the Kickstarter project there was an announcement of deal with few service providers that they will offer service free for one end device. But it depends on your location, whether your area is connected or not.

You may check https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/ also.

One more source of information is http://openlora.com/forum/
Tiny Core Linux (piCore) developer
HAM radio call: HA5DI (Béla)

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:54 pm

The things network seems to imply amateurs setting up their own LoRa internet gateways with free access. Given the range of LoRa devices and the relatively low cost of building a gateway with something like a Raspberry Pi, I could envisage fairly widespread coverage in a few years, at least in urban areas. It seems it's already happened in Amsterdam and elsewhere.

I guess the big companies offer servers with the usual benefits for commercial deployments but I can envisage most amateurs running their own MQTT broker (or whatever) on a Pi or equivalent. The bandwidth is very low.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.