CC3200 build environment

Questions and discussion about The WiPy 1.0 board and CC3200 boards.
Target audience: Users with a WiPy 1.0 or CC3200 board.
Niallp

CC3200 build environment

Postby Niallp » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:21 am

After reviewing the readme, I should be able to build firmware for the WiPy1 and CC3200 Launchpad using the toolchain from gcc-arm-embedded and it certainly seems to work most of the way ... builds complete with no errors and the board is mostly functional.

I can't get the builtin FTP server working properly in any local build (it just hangs after username input) yet the binaries available from micropython/download seem OK. I've tried both a WiPy1 and Launchpad, using my default workstation (Ubuntu 16.04 x64 with toolchain via PPA) as well as another clean install of gcc-arm-embedded from the latest distribution tarball on a Debian Jessie system. Results are consistently working telnet and REPL but crashing FTP.

Could anyone with a working build environment please let me know your system details (distro and version, also output of arm-none-eabi-gcc -v) ? Thanks.

Roberthh

Re: CC3200 build environment

Postby Roberthh » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:46 am

System debian jessie, configuration a little bit aged & messy.

Code: Select all

robert@DELL-HH:~$ arm-none-eabi-gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=arm-none-eabi-gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.8/lto-wrapper
Target: arm-none-eabi
Configured with: ../gcc-4.8.4/configure --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --includedir='/usr/lib/include' --mandir='/usr/lib/share/man' --infodir='/usr/lib/share/info' --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --disable-silent-rules --libexecdir='/usr/lib/lib/gcc-arm-none-eabi' --disable-maintainer-mode --disable-dependency-tracking --enable-languages=c,c++ --prefix=/usr/lib --infodir=/usr/share/doc/gcc-arm-none-eabi/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --htmldir=/usr/share/doc/gcc-arm-none-eabi/html --pdfdir=/usr/share/doc/gcc-arm-none-eabi/pdf --bindir=/usr/bin --libexecdir=/usr/lib --libdir=/usr/lib --with-system-zlib --enable-multilib --disable-decimal-float --disable-libffi --disable-libgomp --disable-libmudflap --disable-libquadmath --disable-libssp --disable-libstdcxx-pch --disable-libstdc++-v3 --disable-nls --disable-shared --disable-threads --disable-tls --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-linux-gnu --target=arm-none-eabi --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --with-headers=no --without-newlib --with-pkgversion=4.8.4-1+11-1 --without-included-gettext --with-multilib-list=armv6-m,armv7-m,armv7e-m,armv7-r INHIBIT_LIBC_CFLAGS=-DUSE_TM_CLONE_REGISTRY=0 AR_FOR_TARGET=arm-none-eabi-ar AS_FOR_TARGET=arm-none-eabi-as LD_FOR_TARGET=arm-none-eabi-ld NM_FOR_TARGET=arm-none-eabi-nm OBJDUMP_FOR_TARGET=arm-none-eabi-objdump RANLIB_FOR_TARGET=arm-none-eabi-ranlib READELF_FOR_TARGET=arm-none-eabi-readelf STRIP_FOR_TARGET=arm-none-eabi-strip
Thread model: single
gcc version 4.8.4 20141219 (release) (4.8.4-1+11-1)

Just tried to build with this morning's state and it works. The file is attached.

mcuimg.zip
(126.03 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

Niallp

Re: CC3200 build environment

Postby Niallp » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:13 pm

Bingo, problem found ... you are using a considerably older gcc version (4.8.4) compared to what I have (6.2.1).

When I revert to gcc 4.8.4, ftp works, while the same tree built with 6.2.1 doesn't. I'll try to track down where the breakage starts then dig deeper, could be a compiler bug or a latent bug in micropython triggered by the newer versions.

Thanks !

Edit: Turns out the breakage is from 5_4-2016q2 to 5_4-2016q3, (ARM/embedded-5-branch revision 237715 and 240496 respectively) ... if anyone wants to avoid this problem, use older toolchains for now.

Return to “The WiPy and CC3200 boards”