Sending email from WiPy

Questions and discussion about The WiPy 1.0 board and CC3200 boards.
Target audience: Users with a WiPy 1.0 or CC3200 board.
marty

Sending email from WiPy

Post by marty » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:35 pm

Hi All

This question has been asked before, but the solutions given in this forum don't appear to be working for me. I am trying to send an email from my wipy 1.0 using gmail smtp and I attempt to implement the solution on page 2 of this topic: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1047&start=10

I have downloaded the stripped down smtplib and attempt to use the accompanying code in the topic linked above.

When I run this on my laptop using port=465 and Tls = True, I can send an email. This surprised me somewhat because according to gmail's website (https://support.google.com/a/answer/176600?hl=en) one should connect to port 587 when using tls!!! Anyway....

When I upload the code onto the wipy and attempt to execute [port = 465, Tls = True] the code fails at the call to SMTP->get reply with the message SMTPServerDisconnected: Connection Unexpectedly Closed

I'm suprised I'm getting a different behaviour depending on whether I run the code on my laptop or on the wipy. I wondered if gmail is able to block certain IPs... but I can't see anyway of managing this in my gmail account.

On my wipy, I also try running the code with port=587, Tls = True (to better reflect the advice on gmails website). The code manages to execute SMTP and helo but fails at login. I get the message SMTPAuthentificationError: (530, b'5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first.... {I noted that in the topic linked above specific mention was made of not needing to call starttls, it also states that when using Tls one should use port 465 which I am struggling to reconcile with gmail's advice to use port 587 when using tls)

I tried calling smtpserver.starttls() after helo and before login.... then I get SMTPAuthentificationError: (-1, b'\x02\x02F')

Any thoughts? I'm new to all of this and naively assumed that sending emails from an IoT board would be essential.

fariz

Re: Sending email from WiPy

Post by fariz » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:55 pm

Hi, I had the same challenge with ESP8266 with micropython and I got around the issue using various 3rd party services available and it works well. Let me know if you still interested.