How to update FW of Wipy 1.0

Questions and discussion about The WiPy 1.0 board and CC3200 boards.
Target audience: Users with a WiPy 1.0 or CC3200 board.
profra

How to update FW of Wipy 1.0

Post by profra » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:25 pm

I have found 2 pcs of WIPY 1.0 in the drawer and I would like to use them for my small project.
I wanted to update their firmware and I did all the needed steps... put the newest mcuimg.bin into flash/sys directory with help of FileZilla... no error messages but there was no update of FW... after reset I see always the same versions of MP which were flashed sometime in the history, see pictures.

Have I forgotten how to upgrade these old Wipy or I miss some information?
Could someone help me to find the lost way?
Attachments
Selection_038.png
Selection_038.png (6.57 KiB) Viewed 4700 times
Selection_036.png
Selection_036.png (6 KiB) Viewed 4700 times

Roberthh

Re: How to update FW of Wipy 1.0

Post by Roberthh » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:59 am

No, looks ok. The image path is defined as /flash/sys/mcuimg.bin, so I do not know whther the leading / makes a difference.
from the code:

Code: Select all

#define UPDATER_IMG_PATH "/flash/sys/mcuimg.bin"

profra

Post by profra » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:46 pm

@Roberthh Thank you for confirming that my procedure was correct.
FYI... I did all the steps with FileZilla on a Linux PC and therefore I tried the same with FileZilla on a Windows PC… and to my surprise, everything was successful at the first try ... I probably will have to look at the installation of FileZilla on a Linux PC.
I would have one more question. I have discovered here https://github.com/wipy/wipy/releases that the last release has bootloader.bin in Binaries.zip. Do you know if it is necessary to install it and how?
Attachments
Selection_039.png
Selection_039.png (14.31 KiB) Viewed 4678 times

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:17 am

I did not know (or forgot) the WIPy repository you mentioned. Anyhow, the latest binaroes are at http://micropython.org/download#wipy. Obviously the device needs a bootloader, and I faintly remember to upload firmware by wire. Must be somewhere in the documentation. In the micropython docs there is also a note about the bootloader:
The bootloader.bin found inside Binaries.zip is there only for reference, it’s not needed for the Over The Air update.