STM32F429DISCOVERY

Discussion and questions about boards that can run MicroPython but don't have a dedicated forum.
Target audience: Everyone interested in running MicroPython on other hardware.
KobAl

STM32F429DISCOVERY

Post by KobAl » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:56 pm

Hello

First: I am very beginner and not Linux user at all. I used my Mac only with GUI. Terminal was discovery for me )))
I try to use Python on STM32.
I spend a week to find way run MicroPython on my STM32F429DISCOVERY board.

I learn how to install tons of libraries, even VirtualBox with Win7 to be able use Windows utilities (DuSeDemo and ST-LINK). I teach how burn my stm8s and STM32F103 by CubeIDE. I already can burn my project to DISCOVERY board by few ways. But no one .dfu files from https://micropython.org/download/stm32/ not works.
All my burns was successful
- different versions STM32F4DISC-20200902-v1.13.dfu, and 1.14
- I used dfu-util
- I used st-util + arm-none-eabi-gdb in terminal
- I used DfuSeDemo, ST-LINK in Win7
But no any PYFLASH is appears.

I try different combinations of connections to board miniUSD, microUSB and custom DIY-USB (DM -->PA11, DP -->PA12).
Two results:
1) no any flash drive in system
2) DIS_F429ZI flash drive with two files on it: Details.txt and Mbed.htm.

I decide that those .dfu files are not suitable for my board.

I install micropython on my MAC. Try to build my own with command
$ make BOARD=STM32F429DISC

There are was few troubles. Today no any STMHAL folder on MIcroPython rep. I find it in micropython-infineon. But simple putting this folder is not help. Tons of errors while building.

After few days I found, the proper way to build .dfu for now.
$ cd ports/stm32
$ make BOARD=STM32F429DISC

need to fix (update) info / FAQ on MicroPython.org

Finally I made my own firmware.dfu /.hex /.bin /.elf files ... But nothing changes. Still no PYFLASH after flashing board with any of them.

It is nightmare, where is PYFLASH??? Help me, please.

KobAl

Re: STM32F429DISCOVERY

Post by KobAl » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:48 pm

Hello.
It dawned on me. :idea:
Today I have solve this issue. ;) It is my shame. :oops:
I have count 6 different cable USB-A - micro USB. It was my bad lack to get two of them with no connections for U+ and U-. It happened because the were: one from power-bank and other from bluetooth ears charger. So, only VCC and GND wires were connected in this cable.
But... There is a silver lining. :lol:
Now I know how install different OS via VirtualBox, how to use Linux (my first try), how to build MicroPython firmware, how to burn STM32 with many different ways and how to find a new way to solve instead official way from FAQ.
Thank you.