[Nucleo- F411RE] Setting Up To Work With Putty

Discussion and questions about boards that can run MicroPython but don't have a dedicated forum.
Target audience: Everyone interested in running MicroPython on other hardware.
mat_wey

[Nucleo- F411RE] Setting Up To Work With Putty

Post by mat_wey » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:18 pm

*Full initial disclosure - I am quite new to the coding community and this is my first time setting up an MCU, so please bear with me*

I am attempting to set up an STM32F411RE with micropython and to be able to use the board with PuTTY for an easier coding experience in the future. I have successfully downloaded the micropython .dfu file for the F411re board from the micropython website and uploaded to the board using DFU. At this point however I am not quite sure how to proceed to get putty to successfully communicate with the board. I have the com port in the putty terminal matching with the corresponding com port on the device manager, but no response when I open up the Putty terminal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Roberthh

Re: [Nucleo- F411RE] Setting Up To Work With Putty

Post by Roberthh » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:30 pm

Putty must be set to 115200 Baud, 8 Data bit, 1 stop bit, no parity, no flow control (!).

mat_wey

Post by mat_wey » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:32 pm

I applied all of those parameters, but there still appears to be no communication occurring between the putty and nucleo :/

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:35 am

mat_wey wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:18 pm
I am attempting to set up an STM32F411RE with micropython and to be able to use the board with PuTTY for an easier coding experience in the future. I have successfully downloaded the micropython .dfu file for the F411re board from the micropython website and uploaded to the board using DFU.
Can you confirm the steps you used to flash the DFU file? Just to ensure that this part definitely succeeded.

The 411 nucleo is a bit annoying because it doesn't have a USB interface available to the main MCU so the regular DFU flashing methods aren't available. You must program it via the ST-Link USB interface.