Is Lora-e5/STM32WL SoC compatible with micropython ?

Discussion and questions about boards that can run MicroPython but don't have a dedicated forum.
Target audience: Everyone interested in running MicroPython on other hardware.
Rotavap

Is Lora-e5/STM32WL SoC compatible with micropython ?

Post by Rotavap » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:13 pm

Hi everyone,

I was looking for a cheap and easy way to implement Lora in a project and for that I choose the Lora-E5 Soc which uses ST system-level package chip STM32WLE5JC, embedded high-performance LoRa® chip SX126X. For more details, have a look here.

Here is the DevBoard :

After looking on the micropython website, I was not able to find any firmaware to flash the STM32WLE5JC MCU with micropython. So my question is pretty simple : Has anyone already managed to deploy Micropyton on the Lora-E5 module? Is the radio module function well?

Thank you in advance for your answers,

Rota.

mattyt

Re: Is Lora-e5/STM32WL SoC compatible with micropython ?

Post by mattyt » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:41 pm

Yes, we've managed to flash MicroPython on the LoRa-E5, but it's still early days. The work is captured in PR 7212. We haven't yet tested LoRa on the device though.

Still working on it when time permits...

Rotavap

Re: Is Lora-e5/STM32WL SoC compatible with micropython ?

Post by Rotavap » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:04 am

Thank you for your answer ! So, does that means that today there is no micropython firmware for a SoC integrating the Lora radio module?

Thank you also for your job on the lora-e5 firmware, this is exactly what I was looking for ! You say you still working on it, what remains to be done? Do you think the lib https://github.com/wybiral/micropython-lora which permits to control a Semtech SX127x LoRa module over SPI can allow to use the Lora module without no additionnal work on your firmware?