[STM32MicroMod] Has anyone been successful flashing MP on a SparkFun STM32 MicroMod?

Discussion and questions about boards that can run MicroPython but don't have a dedicated forum.
Target audience: Everyone interested in running MicroPython on other hardware.
furusato

[STM32MicroMod] Has anyone been successful flashing MP on a SparkFun STM32 MicroMod?

Post by furusato » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:49 pm

Hi,

I've just received the SparkFun STM32 MicroMod processor and two of the carrier boards and am keen to somehow flash what is effectively the MicroPython files one finds on a Pyboard onto the SparkFun STM32 processor board, basically making it as much as possible into a Pyboard. (I have a Zio Pyboard and it's great.)
SparkFun's MicroMod STM32 Processor Hookup Guide (see https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/mi ... okup-guide) has me downloading the Arduino IDE and the STM32 CubeProgrammer IDE, but I'm kinda left adrift after that as they seem more interested in hardware and solely using C/C++ on the board, and I want that Pyboard environment.

If anyone has any documentation or experience in how to install MicroPython onto the MicroMod STM32 it would be much appreciated, thanks. I'd be happy to feed back anything I find to SparkFun, who I'm sure would be happy to augment their documentation.

Cheers

furusato

Re: [STM32MicroMod] Has anyone been successful flashing MP on a SparkFun STM32 MicroMod?

Post by furusato » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:01 am

With some advice from friends, I've managed to flash MicroPython 1.17 onto the STM32 MicroMod using the instructions here:
which basically meant downloading micropython from github and building it with

Code: Select all

BOARD=SPARKFUN_MICROMOD_STM32
, and then using dfu-util to load the firmware via DFU. I've not been able to get the SD card reader to work on the Thing Plus carrier board but the normal MicroPython REPL pops up under rshell.

scruss

Re: [STM32MicroMod] Has anyone been successful flashing MP on a SparkFun STM32 MicroMod?

Post by scruss » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:51 pm

from the MicroMod STM32 schematic, it looks like the SD card is on PA5, PA6, PA7 and PC4.