RSHELL and OpenMV?

Discussion and questions about boards that can run MicroPython but don't have a dedicated forum.
Target audience: Everyone interested in running MicroPython on other hardware.
thestumbler

RSHELL and OpenMV?

Post by thestumbler » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:44 am

There was a thread from a few years ago ( viewtopic.php?t=2737 ) noting that RSHELL wasn't working with OpenMV. Was that ever fixed? I've searched the OpenMV, RSHELL, and MicroPython sites/repos and come up empty-handed.

I'm currently testing an OpenMV H7 R1 board. I'm running RSHELL version 0.0.31, Python 3.9.9 (but I'm flexible if that's an issue), and the OpenMV module reports the following (it came preloaded like this from my client, I didn't build it myself):

Code: Select all

MicroPython: v1.15-r57 OpenMV: v4.1.1 HAL: v1.9.0 BOARD: OPENMV4-STM32H743
I can connect to it using Thonny and serial port. If I try RSHELL, it either hangs at the "Trying to connect to REPL" prompt, or I've gotten the below informational dump a few times. Any idea what's up?

I'm not at all familiar with OpenMV, and have naively assumed it should behave like MP. Maybe I'm wrong. Should I even expect RSHELL to work with OpenMV? Or is there some known incompatibility with RSHELL of which I'm blissfully unaware?

-Chris

Code: Select all

(.venv) rclott@herman openmv$ rshell -d -e nvim -p /dev/cu.usbmodem365E376830381 -b 115200
Debug = True
Port = /dev/cu.usbmodem365E376830381
Baud = 115200
User = micro
Password = python
Wait = 0
List = 0
nocolor = 0
ascii = 0
Timing = 0
Quiet = 0
BUFFER_SIZE = 512
Cmd = []
Using buffer-size of 32
Connecting to /dev/cu.usbmodem365E376830381 (buffer-size 32)...
Trying to connect to REPL  connected
Retrieving sysname ... ----- About to send 205 bytes of code to the pyboard -----
def sysname():
    try:
        import os
        return repr(os.uname().sysname)
    except:
        return repr('unknown')
output = sysname()
if output is None:
    print("None")
else:
    print(output)

-----
b'OK\r\nraw REPL; CTRL-B to exit\r\n>'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/rclott/root/files/projs/novac/projs/openmv/.venv/lib/python3.9/site-packages/rshell/main.py", line 1381, in connect
    ip_address = socket.gethostbyname(port)
socket.gaierror: [Errno 8] nodename nor servname provided, or not known