[w600x] Compiling Help

Discussion and questions about boards that can run MicroPython but don't have a dedicated forum.
Target audience: Everyone interested in running MicroPython on other hardware.
ejgeiger

[w600x] Compiling Help

Post by ejgeiger » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:42 am

Hello everyone but especially RobertHH!

I am new to Micropython and now realized I picked a tough board to start with. That said I am trying to compile my own firmware for the w60x chip. I am trying to go step by step as I learn all of this so I started with just trying to compile a firmware using RobertHH repository for the SDK and his branch of Micropython for the w60x port. I have read all of the readme files and can get an image generated and onto the chip but its missing the network module and machine module... obviously important. Can anyone point me to how to troubleshoot further?

One thing I had to do was remove the Src/App/lwm2m-wakaama folder from the SDK because I kept getting a warning about no target being defined and no make file. I don't think this is the issue, but I wanted to put that out there.

I am using a Raspberry Pi 4 to build everything.

Thanks!

Roberthh

Re: [w600x] Compiling Help

Post by Roberthh » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:05 am

Just update the w60x files from my repository. There were changes needed after the move to v1,19, which are not done. The module smachine and network are back.

ejgeiger

Post by ejgeiger » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:08 pm

Thank you kindly. I was so sure that I had overlooked something simple.

I am very keen on the w60x board, especially the Air602 form factor due to its cost and ability to just plug it into a usb wall adapter. It seems you are the most active maintainer, your efforts are appreciated. Is there something that a beginner could contribute to help the effort if I wanted to pay it forward? I don't even know enough yet to know where to start.

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:41 pm

Hard to say. I did not add any specific W600 features since a while. I just kept the MiccriPython core recent. Most of teh time that's a simple rebase of the repository, sometimes, like with v1.19, it's a little bit more work.
The W600 is a good chip, and a good alternative to a ESP8266. Twice as fast, when it comes to code execution, and more peripherals. It's a pity that the version with 2 MB flash is not available.

Do you miss some functions? If yes, we could consider implementing them. The documentation for chip and Library is not very good. So there is always some analysis work required.

ejgeiger

Post by ejgeiger » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:06 am

Hi,

I can compile with

Code: Select all

MICROPY_PY_USSL ?= 0
, but when I compile with

Code: Select all

MICROPY_PY_USSL ?= 1
I get errors related to: undefined references to `mbedtls_...' in modussl_mbedtls.c

any suggestions on how to hunt this down? Is this another module issue?

Thanks!

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:39 am

There's a typo in line 255 of Makefile. It must read:

OBJ_MP += $(addprefix $(BUILD)/, $(SRC_MOD:.c=.o))

Edit: Repository is fixed.