Rf remote module

Discussion and questions about boards that can run MicroPython but don't have a dedicated forum.
Target audience: Everyone interested in running MicroPython on other hardware.
brett

Rf remote module

Post by brett » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:28 pm

I'm getting terrible range from this module:

https://www.amazon.com/Hilitchi-Channel ... B018G0M3L4

I've tried various antennas half wavelength, quarter wavelength, spiral, straight, etc. I get consistent results inside about 10 feet and it sometimes works out to about 15 feet. Have any of you had better results with his module? If so what did you use for an antenna? Does anyone know of a better remote solution? It's getting very frustrating!

pythoncoder

Re: Rf remote module

Post by pythoncoder » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:07 pm

This isn't really a MicroPython issue - you may get a better response elsewhere e.g. in Arduino forums. It sounds as if the units are pretty poor. In my testing of 433MHz radio modules I achieved at least 100 metres range with a simple quarter wave length of wire as an antenna.

On the general topic of remote control, there is an official driver for the 2.4GHz NRF24L01+ radio. These can achieve 100 metres or so with duck antennas. Another approach to radio is to use WiFi on the ESP8266 or ESP32. But these would involve building the remote control itself.

There are unofficial drivers for commercial infra red R/C units but I guess you need radio.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.