STM32F407 Discovery board not entering DFU mode

Discussion and questions about boards that can run MicroPython but don't have a dedicated forum.
Target audience: Everyone interested in running MicroPython on other hardware.
liudr

STM32F407 Discovery board not entering DFU mode

Post by liudr » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:22 am

I have an STM32F407 discovery board from a while back (some free sample) and I just remembered it now. I looked up the support and it seems to be a perfect candidate to run MicroPython. I looked up how to upload MicroPython firmware and tried but the board won't enter DFU mode. I am supposed to connect BOOT0 pin to the nearby VDD and press reset. The device should change into DFU device. That never happened. I tried to install driver from the dfuse demo's program folder but my win 10 says there is no appropriate drive. So I downloaded from ST.com an ST-LINK driver:

http://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/s ... overy.html

It installed an ST-LINK USB device VID=0483, PID=3748. I also tried shorting the reset button, thinking maybe the bottom is broken but that didn't do anything either. Has someone else met this issue before? Thanks.

mwm

Re: STM32F407 Discovery board not entering DFU mode

Post by mwm » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:09 am

Which port are you connecting to? The mini USB port is connected to the stlink built into the board, and it will never show up as a dfu port for the STM32F4. It might show up as an stm32flash port if you put the STM32F4 in bootloader mode. The micro USB port is connected to the STM32F4 USB system, and should show up as a DFU port when the STM32F4 is in bootloader mode.

I've never tried either, though. You can avoid needing to put the STM32F4 in bootloader mode at all by simply using the built in stlink. For micropython, doing "make BOARD=STM32F4DISC deploy-stlink" will flash the firmware once you've installed the stlink software.

liudr

Post by liudr » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:48 pm

Thanks. I thought the microUSB was an OTG port and had a mental block that says "not this port" so I should have tried that port. I'll do it tonight. I'm not using linux and don't have any tool chains installed so I can make. If this board works as it should, I'll just have a second platform to play with :)

mwm

Post by mwm » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:05 am

I've got enough different STM32 tools installed I forget which is which, but you don't need a toolchain to use the stlink. That's just what I do. On Windows, I believe you can use the STM stlink tool to flash the firmware image. You may want to get that to update the firmware on the stlink in any case.