Build Nucleo767 build option error

Discussion and questions about boards that can run MicroPython but don't have a dedicated forum.
Target audience: Everyone interested in running MicroPython on other hardware.
ST58

Build Nucleo767 build option error

Post by ST58 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:00 pm

Hi
I have set up to build with Bash under Win 10
If I build a stm32 M4 board, such as PYBV11 - all is fine, I can take the generated DFU and flash it to a pyboard and the board works fine.
So looks like my setup is ok.

If I try and build an M7 board - Nucleo_f767zi, then more or less straight away I get a build error :
"arm-none-eabi-gcc: error: unrecognized argument in option '-mfpu=fpv5-d16'
arm-none-eabi-gcc: note: valid arguments to '-mfpu=' are: cryp...". and
" arm-none-eabi-gcc: error: unrecognized argument in option '-mtune=cortex-m7'
arm-none-eabi-gcc: note: valid arguments to '-mtune=' ar...."

Either the make file is wrong - unlikely! or it maybe looks like I have the wrong version of gcc - one that doesn't support M7 or something like that.

Can anyone point me in the right direction..

Any recommendations on what packages need to be loaded in Bash under Win 10 to compile correctly?
If any one has a set up sequence for Bash under Win 10 , I`m sure a lot of people would be interested- especially me!!
Thanks in advance..

jickster

Re: Build Nucleo767 build option error

Post by jickster » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:00 pm

ST58 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:00 pm
Hi
I have set up to build with Bash under Win 10
If I build a stm32 M4 board, such as PYBV11 - all is fine, I can take the generated DFU and flash it to a pyboard and the board works fine.
So looks like my setup is ok.

If I try and build an M7 board - Nucleo_f767zi, then more or less straight away I get a build error :
"arm-none-eabi-gcc: error: unrecognized argument in option '-mfpu=fpv5-d16'
arm-none-eabi-gcc: note: valid arguments to '-mfpu=' are: cryp...". and
" arm-none-eabi-gcc: error: unrecognized argument in option '-mtune=cortex-m7'
arm-none-eabi-gcc: note: valid arguments to '-mtune=' ar...."

Either the make file is wrong - unlikely! or it maybe looks like I have the wrong version of gcc - one that doesn't support M7 or something like that.

Can anyone point me in the right direction..

Any recommendations on what packages need to be loaded in Bash under Win 10 to compile correctly?
If any one has a set up sequence for Bash under Win 10 , I`m sure a lot of people would be interested- especially me!!
Thanks in advance..
Looks like that fpv5-d16 is not supported by your compiler.

To see which ones are supported, do this
arm-none-eabi-gcc -v --help
Then look for a section like this
Known ARM FPUs (for use with the -mfpu= option):
fpa fpe2 fpe3 fpv4-sp-d16 maverick neon neon-fp16 neon-vfpv4 vfp vfp3 vfpv3
vfpv3-d16 vfpv3-d16-fp16 vfpv3-fp16 vfpv3xd vfpv3xd-fp16 vfpv4 vfpv4-d16
Is your compile option fpv5-d16 contained in your list?

ST58

Re: Build Nucleo767 build option error

Post by ST58 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:19 am

Yes, I suspected the problem was an old version of gcc which did not support M7. Not really being a Linux person, what I didn't know was how to correct the problem and get the latest version of gcc installed, where to get the package from etc.
I have loaded Ubuntu as a vm using hypervisor and that all worked - but hypervisor doesn't support usb - so I couldn't directly flash devices and I found it very awkward to get the dfu/hex files of the vm - hence looking for a simpler solution.
I uninstalled my bash under win10 and reinstalled, this time I just loaded the same packages as I did on my vm version ( first install I tried to follow the standard instructions for building stm - those packages didn't work) - anyway the same pacjkages I installed on my vm did work for bash for win 10. I can build the m7 type builds and then using stflash (windows) - I can flash the hex file on the board and it tests out ok.
I will do a new post on setting up bash under win 10 for anyone else interested