New dual-core RISC-V 64bit board

Discussion and questions about boards that can run MicroPython but don't have a dedicated forum.
Target audience: Everyone interested in running MicroPython on other hardware.
kevinkk525

Re: New dual-core RISC-V 64bit board

Post by kevinkk525 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:18 am

I'm also wondering about the $5 price, considering that the used ESP82xx is not cheap either. This price is even cheaper than a chinese copy of a ready product would be.
Kevin Köck
Micropython Smarthome Firmware (with Home-Assistant integration): https://github.com/kevinkk525/pysmartnode

zepan

Post by zepan » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:28 am

[quote=kevinkk525 post_id=31941 time=1542446290 user_id=3684]
I'm also wondering about the $5 price, considering that the used ESP82xx is not cheap either. This price is even cheaper than a chinese copy of a ready product would be.
[/quote]

Hi, $5 is early bird price (only 100 pcs), and without wifi version.
We offer it for $5 at a loss, just want more people can afford it.

loboris

Post by loboris » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:20 am

pythoncoder wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:29 am
One thing bothers me about all this cheap hardware: support
At this stage, those boards are mainly intended for developers, the people who knows how to deal with "subtle bugs" and can participate in the software (and hardware) development.

If Sipeed is clever enough, it will provide as much documentation for hardware and software components as possible and let others to contribute to the the development (both software and hardware).
Having cheap enough boards to work with from the beginning is very important for that proccess.

Kendryte, the company which makes K210 RISC-V processor which is the base for the Sipeed's modules/boards provides HDK, SDK and documentations which is still not perfect (some documentation still available only in Chinese), but the support is growing rapidly.

If the Sipeed's boards and software are going to be fully open source/open hardware (and it looks like they will, plus, including the support for MicroPython was the great move), there is great chance for the success.

zepan

Post by zepan » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:52 am

loboris wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:20 am
pythoncoder wrote:
At this stage, those boards are mainly intended for developers, the people who knows how to deal with "subtle bugs" and can participate in the software (and hardware) development.

If Sipeed is clever enough, it will provide as much documentation for hardware and software components as possible and let others to contribute to the the development (both software and hardware).
Having cheap enough boards to work with from the beginning is very important for that proccess.

Kendryte, the company which makes K210 RISC-V processor which is the base for the Sipeed's modules/boards provides HDK, SDK and documentations which is still not perfect (some documentation still available only in Chinese), but the support is growing rapidly.

If the Sipeed's boards and software are going to be fully open source/open hardware (and it looks like they will, plus, including the support for MicroPython was the great move), there is great chance for the success.
Thank you for your support!
We are transfering wikis(en.dan.sipeed.com, en.maixpy.sipeed.com,etc.) to new wordpress-based blog (blog.sipeed.com), as it have language switch function.
And we are going to move mpy from bare metal to freeRTOS, as Kendryte now only support AI API on freeRTOS SDK.
The hardware is opensource as pdf format, and software is open source, but the model have 95+% accuracy rate will be for a fee, and everyone can trade their model.

OutoftheBOTS_

Post by OutoftheBOTS_ » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:39 pm

zepan wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:52 am
loboris wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:20 am
pythoncoder wrote:

Thank you for your support!
We are transfering wikis(en.dan.sipeed.com, en.maixpy.sipeed.com,etc.) to new wordpress-based blog (blog.sipeed.com), as it have language switch function.
And we are going to move mpy from bare metal to freeRTOS, as Kendryte now only support AI API on freeRTOS SDK.
The hardware is opensource as pdf format, and software is open source, but the model have 95+% accuracy rate will be for a fee, and everyone can trade their model.
I have backed your campaign on this product and understand it is a development in process and is in early stage. I just checked out your blog.sipeed.com and I notice the syntax of your port of python is a little different from main stream Micro-Python.

i.e

Code: Select all

LCD >>> = machine.st7789 () ;
there is an added >>> and also there is an ; at the end of the line same as C code but on other examples of code there isn't ; at the end is that a typo???

loboris

Post by loboris » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:55 pm

OutoftheBOTS_ wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:39 pm
I have backed your campaign on this product and understand it is a development in process and is in early stage. I just checked out your blog.sipeed.com and I notice the syntax of your port of python is a little different from main stream Micro-Python.

i.e

Code: Select all

LCD >>> = machine.st7789 () ;
there is an added >>> and also there is an ; at the end of the line same as C code but on other examples of code there isn't ; at the end is that a typo???
I've also noticed it, but it is a strange effect of the automatic translation.
Select Chinese (Traditional) in the upper right corner and the code will be OK.
; at the end of the line is not necessary, of course, but it does not produce an error.

OutoftheBOTS_

Post by OutoftheBOTS_ » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:40 pm

OK yes I see that the translator makes some mistakes.

I find here to be more info and much better English http://en.maixpy.sipeed.com/index.html