NUCLEO-F767ZI Mac OS connection issues

Discussion and questions about boards that can run MicroPython but don't have a dedicated forum.
Target audience: Everyone interested in running MicroPython on other hardware.
sungkhum

NUCLEO-F767ZI Mac OS connection issues

Post by sungkhum » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:39 pm

I'm having trouble transferring files to my NUCLEO-F767ZI on Mac OS. I can connect via REPL fine using:
screen /dev/tty.usbmodem1413 115200

But when I try to use rshell or uPyLoader neither can succeed in getting past just connecting (rshell waits on checking if ubinascii.unhexlify exists ... and if I manually check in REPL the test returns True). And uPyLoader can't transfer the needed "Init transfer files".

I can use uPyLoader on my PC without any issues.

Anyone have success with the NUCLEO-F767ZI on Mac OS?

Thanks.

aivarannamaa

Re: NUCLEO-F767ZI Mac OS connection issues

Post by aivarannamaa » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:43 pm

Similar issue was reported for my IDE (https://github.com/thonny/thonny/issues/936).

I solved it by flushing the target file after each written block. This can be useful for rshell as well.
Aivar Annamaa
https://thonny.org

walecka

Post by walecka » Fri May 22, 2020 8:09 pm

Apologies for re-opening an old thread, but I have been agonizing over this exact same issue for a while now and am in desperate need of a fix. What exactly do you mean by:
I solved it by flushing the target file after each written block. This can be useful for rshell as well.
?
If you would be so kind as to point me in the right direction, I would make the edits to the rshell source code, but I am not nearly comfortable enough with the uPython environment to do this without any guidance.

Thanks in advance for the help!

jcw

Post by jcw » Sat May 23, 2020 4:53 pm

Same here, for NUCLEO-L476 (also fails with Thonny). I suspect that the ST-Link v2.1 which sits between USB and the STM32's UART is not quite up to this task. Perhaps the on-board STM32F103 which implements the ST-Link chokes on 115200 baud, when too much end-to-end data is trying to get through. I've had many issues with serial communication in other non-µPy projects.

Maybe lowering the serial baud rate will alleviate the problem (e.g. 19200 baud, this probably requires a µPy custom build). But if the deeper problem is inadequate handling of back-pressure in the serial <=> usb chain, then it'll never become a robust setup.

aivarannamaa

Re: NUCLEO-F767ZI Mac OS connection issues (rshell)

Post by aivarannamaa » Sun May 24, 2020 4:55 am

walecka wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:09 pm
If you would be so kind as to point me in the right direction, I would make the edits to the rshell source code, but I am not nearly comfortable enough with the uPython environment to do this without any guidance.
I would try adding dev.flush() after dev.write(...) in main.send_file_to_remote
Aivar Annamaa
https://thonny.org