RedBearLab CC3200 board

Discussion and questions about boards that can run MicroPython but don't have a dedicated forum.
Target audience: Everyone interested in running MicroPython on other hardware.
lchindeko

RedBearLab CC3200 board

Post by lchindeko » Wed May 27, 2015 2:21 am

Dear all,
I have a RedBearLab CC3200 board. That board have the Arduino form factor so almost same Pin configuration as Arduino as well. The good with this is it's possible to use most of the Arduino shield. The other good thing with that board is that no need to use any jumper to program it (like with the TI LaunchXL), just plug a micro usb cable and it's ok. Everything is working well with Energia IDE.
I've tried to install the the CC3200 micropython version on the board, but it does not work. I've tried to install the CC3200 LaunchXL version, not working. I've tried to configure a new board in the cc3200/boards folder and compile for that board. It's compile fine, but still not working.
I can't find where is the issue and how to correctly configure a new board.
Could some one help?

Thanks
Best regards
lchindeko

danicampora

Re: RedBearLab CC3200 board

Post by danicampora » Wed May 27, 2015 8:33 am

Hi lchindeko,

I just pushed some new commits to move the STDIO UART of the launchxl to mpconfigboard.h. First of all, follow the instructions here:
https://github.com/micropython/micropyt ... /README.md

Make sure your CC3200 is flashed with the latest service pack from TI. I don't know which UART pins readbear is using, so you would have to take care of this in mpconfigboard.h. I do know that their board has a 1MB flash, so don't waste your time trying to build for the WiPy which expects a 2MB flash, it will never work. There's no need to edit pins.csv BTW.

Please pull the latest changes from the repo and use UniFLASH as described in the README.md file.

An extra point to take in mind is that pre-release silicon won't work (issue with the RAM blocks), but I assume that redbear is shipping their boards with the R1 revision.

Cheers,
Daniel

lchindeko

Post by lchindeko » Wed May 27, 2015 5:18 pm

Hi Daniel,
First of all, thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure if the cc3200 version on the Redbearlab is a pre-release or not. i've ask the question to the redbearlab support.
I've try the new code you post today, and checked before for the UART port used on the redbear. In fact they are using for the USART0 TX the GPIO2 and for the UART0 RX the GPIO1 exactly like the TI LaunchXL. therefore just use the version for LaunchXL without any modification.

I've follow the https://github.com/micropython/cc3200/README.md as mention in your post, starting by generating the application (mcuimg.bin) and the bootloader (bootloader.bin), then using CCS_Uniflash formated the board, flag for erease the 3 cert files and the pac.bin file and putting the bootloader.bin in /sys/mcuimg.bin and the mcuimg.bin in /sys/factimg.bin. I then program the change and flash the service pack.

But unfortunately it still does not work. Nothing on the usb serial port, and no Wifi AP with SSID: wipy-wlan.
I'm waiting an answer from RedBearLab support about the CC3200 MCU if it is a R1 or not. Do you have any other suggestion?

Again Thanks.

Regards
Laurent Chindeko

danicampora

Post by danicampora » Wed May 27, 2015 6:42 pm

Hello Laurent,

If it's a R1 revision then it's fine, it should work by using the launchxl build without changing anything. Just one thing, the first time the board boots after a clean re-flash it will take around 30s to show the prompt because the file system is being created and the serial flash used by TI on those modules is kinda slow, but this is only the very first time. Are you able to debug? If yes, build a debug version and give it a try (first time you will see the same delay because of the file system).

Keep me posted, it has to work...

Cheers,
Daniel

lchindeko

Post by lchindeko » Fri May 29, 2015 5:10 pm

Hi Daniel,
Finally I make it work, just with the LaunchPad configuration.
I'm testing the micropython API and will let you know what is working and what is not.

Thanks for your help.

PS: For those of you who are facing issue when flashing the bootloader.bin and the mcuimg.bin don't forget to set that 2 files for updates.

Regards
Laurent Chindeko