Portenta H7

Discussion and questions about boards that can run MicroPython but don't have a dedicated forum.
Target audience: Everyone interested in running MicroPython on other hardware.
rcolistete

Portenta H7

Post by rcolistete » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:54 am

Portenta H7 will have MicroPython besides Arduino :
https://store.arduino.cc/usa/portenta-h7
- STM32H747XI dual Cortex M7+M4;
- 8MB SDRAM, up to 64MB;
- 16MB NOR Flash, up to 128 MByte (NAND);
- Murata 1DX dual WiFi 802.11b/g/n 65 Mbps and Bluetooth 5.1 BR/EDR/LE;
- GPU Chrom-ART graphical hardware Accelerator;
- 10/100 Ethernet Phy;
- USB-C with DisplayPort and USB HS;
- 3× ADCs with 16-bit max. resolution (up to 36 channels, up to 3.6 MSPS);
- etc.

More details in this PJRC (Teensy) Forum topic.
My "MicroPython Samples". My "MicroPython Firmwares" with many options (double precision, ulab, etc).

mattyt

Re: Portenta H7

Post by mattyt » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:18 pm

Interesting quotes from the forum link:
> > They also said at the time they were going to support MicroPython, but not Adafruit's CircuitPython.
> Our decision to stick with Micropython is to credit the huge work the MicroPython team has done putting it together and help them grow their project contributing to it. we strongly believe in open source and love when our users contribute to our code so it's natural decision to use the mainline code and contribute to it.
I've never really been interested in the Arduino ecosystem but the Portenta H7 looks very nice indeed!

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:08 am

Amazing! Did you guys spot the carrier? It looks like they are planning a world takeover ;)

FWIW I used Arduino until I discovered the Pyboard. Programming in C is something I was happy to (largely) give up.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:06 am

I looked at that board with interest. But even more interesting were the comments in the PJRC forum and the statements of Paul Stoffregen. He mentioned to support MicroPython on his boards.
I went back to C and Arduino recently for two tasks, one of them porting a 30 year old software top another hardware. The old one, Z80 based and still being used, went up in smoke. For the new target I took a ESP32 module. I have plenty of them around. It took me just a day to port that from the old Z80 target MiZe compiler to Arduino. Half of that was typing in one file, from which I only had a print-out. Another day for solvng one single problem, related to the UART. Initially I considered porting it all to Python, which would have resulted in much cleaner code. But since it worked, I dropped that approach.
The other project was a ATTiny based external watchdog. The ESp32 platform is not as stable as the STM32 one, and the internal watchdog also falls asleep sometimes, or barks when not needed.

rcolistete

Post by rcolistete » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:19 pm

My "MicroPython Samples". My "MicroPython Firmwares" with many options (double precision, ulab, etc).

0n3

Post by 0n3 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:50 pm

Thank you for the resources :)

Here is another link for OpenMV Portenta H7 discussions: https://forums.openmv.io/viewforum.php?f=7