micropython and esp8266

Discussion and questions about boards that can run MicroPython but don't have a dedicated forum.
Target audience: Everyone interested in running MicroPython on other hardware.
asantaga

micropython and esp8266

Post by asantaga » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:44 pm

Hi all,

Im trying to gauge how mature, the immature micropython is for the esp8266, any comments anyone?

the main issue I see is you cant store python scripts without burning them as part of the image right?

owens-bill

Re: micropython and esp8266

Post by owens-bill » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:56 am

I haven't written any actual applications with MicroPython on the ESP8266 yet, just tested a few things, but what is implemented so far seems to work fine. You can connect to a WiFi network, make a TCP connection and send and receive data over it (no UDP yet), read and write GPIO pins, and read the ADC pin. The only misbehavior I've seen so far is that the code does not tolerate delays longer than a second or so; it's a known issue apparently having to do with servicing the watchdog timer. I just saw yesterday a post from Peter Scargill with a possible fix for that <tech.scargill.net/esp8266-debug/> but the function calls that are involved aren't available in the version of the SDK that's currently in use with MP.

If you need more mature MP support on a WiFi platform, I'd suggest using the CC3200 but the only board you can get right now is the LAUNCHXL, which is quite large and not really suitable for building into a project. The WiPy will be a nice choice but it's still a couple of months away.