Wio Terminal with ATSAMD51 + Realtek RTL8720DN + 2.4 screen + etc

Discussion and questions about boards that can run MicroPython but don't have a dedicated forum.
Target audience: Everyone interested in running MicroPython on other hardware.
MCHobby

Re: Wio Terminal with ATSAMD51 + Realtek RTL8720DN + 2.4 screen + etc

Post by MCHobby » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:33 am

No response ?!?!

Once again, is there any resource or reference document to install the compile toolchain to compile ATSAMD's base MicroPython ?

Dominique

Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:42 am

I don’t know but I assume the same toolchain as used to build CircuitPython should get you going. There’s a very detailed and up-to-date guide on that. As to building MicroPython, I assume the procedure is similar to other ARM-based targets such as STM32.

mattyt

Post by mattyt » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:37 am

MCHobby wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:33 am
Once again, is there any resource or reference document to install the compile toolchain to compile ATSAMD's base MicroPython ?
Not that I'm aware of - but I know of two people that have built the SAMD port for the XIAO (SAMD21) recently, which is similar.

You can follow the STM32 guide for the dependencies (cross compilers is the same: arm-none-eabi-gcc) and then something like:

Code: Select all

> make -C mpy-cross
> cd ports/samd
> make submodules
> make BOARD=ADAFRUIT_ITSYBITSY_M4_EXPRESS
(The M4 is a SAMD51, similar to that used in the Wio Terminal. We will need to create a new board definition specifically for the Wio Terminal at some point...)

I haven't built for this board before but hopefully that will give you a start - let me know if you're still stuck.

I'll add 'Update README.md for SAMD port' to my todo list... :P