Connecting to MicroPython REPL on ESP8266

Discussion and questions about boards that can run MicroPython but don't have a dedicated forum.
Target audience: Everyone interested in running MicroPython on other hardware.
riklaunim

Connecting to MicroPython REPL on ESP8266

Post by riklaunim » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:19 pm

I'm following Adafruit ESP8266 tutorial and I've managed to load the firmware, but now, when I connect ESP8266 to USB/UART I can't connect to REPL in any way. The connection seems to hang. Does some other pins must be connected somewhere (I'm using the small Chinese board)?

SweetPeas

Re: Connecting to MicroPython REPL on ESP8266

Post by SweetPeas » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:33 pm

Basic question first, you did set it back to normal running mode, i.e. GPIO0 high ?
How is your USB adapter connected ? Do you have DTR and RTS signals connected to the ESP device ?
What OS are you running ?

Other things I can think of, baudrate must be 115200 baud

/Pontus
A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible.

platforma

Post by platforma » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:29 pm

Just like SweetPeas said, make sure you have the following right:
- Your serial to usb is connected properly with TX->RX and RX->TX and your serial device is actually recognised by your OS (COM port or /dev/ttyUSB or something similar)
- Make sure your GPIO00 pin is not pulled to low so you're not in bootloader mode anymore
- Using your serial terminal of choice (Putty if you're on windows, minicom/picocom/cutecom/gnu screen if you're on linux/mac os) try to connect to the port you get from your ESP when connected through USB adapter, as SweetPeas said, the default baud rate is 115200.

For example, that's how I connect to mine using picocom:

Code: Select all

picocom -b 115200 /dev/ttyUSB0
If you flashed it correctly (how do you know you did?) you should see your REPL!

sfindley23

Post by sfindley23 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:52 am

I know that this is a two year old thread, but I'm having the same trouble. I'm connecting to a NodeMCU board via USB. I have flashed the latest stable release of MicroPython on the board. I can connect using Tera Term and I get the REPL, but when I try to connect to the board using PuTTY, I get some non-readable jargon at the top along with OSError [Errno 2] ENOENT and then the chip and release information along with the >>>, but the cursor will not move and the REPL is completely unresponsive.

I've tried erasing and reflashing
I've tried the timeout in the pybord.py file (which typically gives me an "inconsistent indentation" error)
I've verified my settings are for the correct port and 115200 baud rate.

Like I said, I can connect using TeraTerm and the REPL works, but PuTTY is more convenient and doesn't work.

deshipu

Post by deshipu » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:28 pm

sfindley23 wrote: Like I said, I can connect using TeraTerm and the REPL works, but PuTTY is more convenient and doesn't work.
It works perfectly fine, you just have to configure it properly. Have you tried disabling the hardware flow control?

sfindley23

Post by sfindley23 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:57 pm

I know that PuTTY works, I meant my connection wasn't working. I knew it was a setting and the hardware flow control fixed it. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk