open hardware?

Discussion and questions about boards that can run MicroPython but don't have a dedicated forum.
Target audience: Everyone interested in running MicroPython on other hardware.
jeep4x4greg

open hardware?

Post by jeep4x4greg » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:09 pm

I'm having trouble finding this for sure.... is the pyboard considered Open Hardware? or just open source for micropython?

dhylands

Re: open hardware?

Post by dhylands » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:54 pm

The schematics, board layout files, and gerbers are available here: https://github.com/micropython/pyboard

It looks like the board layout/gerbers for the latest board (PYBV10) aren't present yet.

According to the LICENSE file, these are all released under the Creative Commons Attribution license, which I believe makes it open hardware.

blmorris

Post by blmorris » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:09 pm

There are Eagle schematic and board files for the PYBv3, but for the PYBv4 and PYBv10 the schematics and board drawings are made available in PDF format.
I'm pretty sure that the simple reason the Eagle files weren't published for the later boards is that they don't exist - the final v10 production board was done in another design program - something from Altium, guessing from the style of the schematic - and this design was finished by Chris Mason rather than Damien after the Kickstarter campaign was finished.
None of this has anything to do with the pyboard being an 'open design' or not; just why the design was published in PDF format rather than as raw board and schematic design files.

Dugite

Post by Dugite » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:52 am

I have been using the MicroPython PyBoard v1.1 for a project, but now I need to make a custom board to progress further. It seems from the GitHub page there have been no updates for years (PyBoard v1.0 only):

https://github.com/micropython/pyboard

I would just like to know if Eagle or other design files will be made available for PyBoard v1.1? If not, then it seems you have to do rework to reproduce your own version of the PyBoard (I was hoping I could use the existing PyBoard v1.1 design in my main board) or go with another open source hardware board and do the port for MicroPython?

Any comments on this would be much appreciated.

jgriessen

Post by jgriessen » Tue May 08, 2018 3:59 pm

I have been using the MicroPython PyBoard v1.1 for a project, but now I need to make a custom board to progress further.
I make an OSHW Association certified micropython board that is compatible with the v1.9.3 release
of micropython and openly documented here: https://github.com/kanzure/culture_shock

It is just getting tested now with micropython after debugging the hardware.

the layout is done with pcb-rnd which has few practical limits, is a tool like standard linux tools so it can be used along with many other schematic and netlist tools. I used geda gschem for schematics. The github repo will stay up and open with starting point for making your own boards. I will be available to start you off with kits, parts, and service if you like.

John Griessen

Here are some photos of the new board including several boost converters and a battery manager.
When ready for sale for general use, the extras will be left off and size will be smaller, but the inexpensive flat flex connectors
will be there, and I will supply them for your uses. I call this platform PYFLEX_F401 because of the flat flex cables used. Flat flex cables with ZIF connectors are about the lowest cast way to connect system modules and boards from displays to batteries to buttons to sensors.

solder paste stencil print ----- Stainless steel stencil from pcbway.com...

Board with break off tabs used to register the stencil accurately:
John Griessen blog.kitmatic.com