USB host co-processor

Discuss development of drivers for external hardware and components, such as LCD screens, sensors, motor drivers, etc.
Target audience: Users and developers of drivers.
gdsports

USB host co-processor

Post by gdsports » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:03 am

https://github.com/gdsports/usbhostcopro

The USB Host co-processor connects USB devices such as USB keyboards to devolpment boards without USB host ports or without USB host software. The connection is made via UART. Device specific firmware is programmed into the USB Host co-processor by dragging and dropping a firmware file.

This open source project is based on the USB Host Library for SAMD which is a port of the USB Host Shield Library 2.0.

The hardware is an Adafruit Trinket M0 with a USB OTG to host cable or adapter. The Trinket M0 has a UF2 bootloader which means it appears as a USB drive. Firmware is burned into the device by dragging and dropping a firmware file on to the USB drive. There is no need to install USB serial drivers, IDEs, or source code unless you want to change the source code.

The README is CircuitPython centric because I tested with CP first. But the project works fine with any board with a UART port. ESP32 with MicroPython looks good so far. I am just getting started with MP and Python but have worked with Arduino projects.

SpotlightKid

Re: USB host co-processor

Post by SpotlightKid » Tue May 12, 2020 8:28 pm

Very cool project!

I just ordered two WeMos D1 SAMD21 M0 Mini boards from AliExpress and will try this out once they are here. I'll probably build some USB MIDI hosts to connect my USB-only keyboards to DIN MIDI only synths.

steeley

Re: USB host co-processor

Post by steeley » Wed May 11, 2022 5:42 pm

Is anyone using this library successfully?

Looks like it hasn't been worked on for several years.