Simple Driver for Microchip 24x256/512 I2C EEPROM

Discuss development of drivers for external hardware and components, such as LCD screens, sensors, motor drivers, etc.
Target audience: Users and developers of drivers.
Mark's Bench

Simple Driver for Microchip 24x256/512 I2C EEPROM

Post by Mark's Bench » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:06 am

Hello!

I've had the opportunity to put together another driver, this time it's for the Microchip 24x256 and 24x512 I2C EEPROMs. If you're interested, you can find it here: https://github.com/MarksBench/mb_24x256_512

It's easy to use but does byte writes instead of page writes, so it will wear the EEPROM much faster than usual. The datasheet for the 24x512 states an endurance of over a million page writes. It's a tradeoff, but it doesn't require extra memory to store a page worth of bytes before writing them, and if I'm sampling something, I generally want the samples written to the EEPROM as quickly as possible.

Have a good day!

pythoncoder

Re: Simple Driver for Microchip 24x256/512 I2C EEPROM

Post by pythoncoder » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:58 am

Have you seen these drivers?

They support these chips and provide additional features such as support for slice access. Multiple chips may be configured as a contiguous array of bytes. It is also possible to mount a filesystem on the array.

I2C and SPI devices are supported, along with other nonvolatile technologies such as FRAM and Flash.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

Mark's Bench

Post by Mark's Bench » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:26 pm

Hello!

The link in your post doesn't seem to work, not sure if it's something to do with my setup here but it's sending me back to this thread. I haven't seen that other driver, but thank you for the heads-up - I will definitely take a look for it, it sounds pretty amazing (and wayyyy beyond what I can do)!

It's not my intent to duplicate (or attempt to replace) other folks' effort. I'm pretty new to the language (and I've never been much of a programmer) but I enjoy tinkering and wading through datasheets and scope traces so as I've been figuring things out I've been posting them just in case someone else can use them or build something on or from them.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:39 pm

Mark's Bench wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:26 pm
The link in your post doesn't seem to work...
Finger trouble on my part. Now fixed ;)

Duplication is no problem - the more the merrier.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

Mark's Bench

Post by Mark's Bench » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:47 am

I am... wow. That is quite the suite you've written there - I may be pestering you with some questions in the near future! :)