Driver for a SSD1963 TFT controller

Discuss development of drivers for external hardware and components, such as LCD screens, sensors, motor drivers, etc.
Target audience: Users and developers of drivers.
pythoncoder

Re: Driver for a SSD1963 TFT controller

Post by pythoncoder » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:47 am

Roberthh wrote:...I hope they don't do that for every hole they drill...
:D Still awaiting the slow boat from China here.

I updated the epaper driver on Github yesterday - it now supports fonts as frozen bytecode. You can pass the context manager a fontname or a path to a font. If there are frozen fonts and the name exists it will use that, otherwise it will treat the argument as a path and look for a binary font file.

One minor point regarding text handling. You pass (x, y) to printstring whereas I use the concept of a text cursor. My locate(x, y) method sets its position and subsequent text is rendered from that location, with the cursor location being updated accordingly. Text handling includes line wrap and newline character handling. The advantage here is that application code can output multi-line text without having to perform calculations based on the dimensions of the current font, e.g.

Code: Select all

a.clear_screen()
with a.font('/sd/inconsolata'):
 a.puts("Large font\ntext here\n")
 a.puts("New line\n")
In my view this adds usability while being easy to implement.

"Now I must have a break. I just made more than 6 errors in a trivial 3 line python function."

Do I know that feeling! I have whole days like that :( A result of health issues and mind-altering medication.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

Roberthh

XPT2046 touch pad driver

Post by Roberthh » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:46 pm

Hallo all, hello @pythoncoder. I just have uploaded the first version of the touch pad driver to github, at
https://github.com/robert-hh/XPT2046-to ... yBoard.git
It works, and is reasonable precise. It's by nature a resistive touch pad with limited precision. But if your hand was steady during calibration, the returned coordinates match the screen locations within a few pixels.
Comments welcome.

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:12 am

Hello all,
the interface PCB I sketched worked right of of the box, at least the prototype. One thing I did not receive yet is the special power regulator. So I'm using a standard LD1117V33 now for testing. I'm going to order a few more of these PCBs. If someone is interest to get one too, please raise your hand. The PCB has the size of an 4.3 Inch TFT, and the mounting holes should match the TFT PCB.
I have two sketches, which just differ by the orientation of the PyBoard. The drawing are at the github site. I'll just order one of them, so if you have a preference, please let me know. The prototype is made w/o solder barrier.
Best Regards

SpotlightKid

Post by SpotlightKid » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:38 pm

We want pretty pictures! :)

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:25 am

That's for what I charged the battery of my old digicam over night. I made some pictures and added them to the github archive at https://github.com/robert-hh/SSD1963-TF ... master/cam (easiest place to put them).
Known faults of the prototype:
- assembly holes for the TFT not at the right spot. They were off by 1 mm (my fault, missed to get the right result of (74-6)/2)
- forgot external switches for reset and usr, because the ones on PyBoard are not accessible any more when the PyBoard is assembled between TFT and carrier PCB, and sometimes you need them.
- added connections of the un-used PyBoard ports to the sides of the PCB.
- changed the connections to the touchpad, such that one serial port (UART1) and one SPI (SPI2) port is still available.
The prototype PCB is not so pretty any more. On the prototype, I added the two switches for RST and USR with wires. And the final power regulator for the TFT is not here yet. So you see a temporarily attached LD1117, and a few wires for the additional components. B.T.W., in the updated PCB I added the option of using a standard regulator.
The only two components which cannot be soldered on either side of the PCB are the TFT connector itself and the SMD power regulator, if that eventually arrives. It's a TPS79601KTT, which has an enable input, low dropout and a low standby current.
The updated PCB designs are in https://github.com/robert-hh/SSD1963-TF ... yBoard.git The two variants differ by the orientation of the PyBoard. In Variant 2, when you put the PyBoard on the backside of the Carrier, the component side is accessible.
If you want to place PyBoard between the carrier and the TFT, and keep it socketed, you'll need a high profile TFT connector. At the moment, I simply stack two connectors, but I ordered high profile ones (http://www.fischerelektronik.de/web_fis ... ndex.xhtml). DK when they arrive. I did not even get an order confirmation. But besides that, the company seems to be a connector heaven. Minimal order amount 25 €.

SpotlightKid

Post by SpotlightKid » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:38 am

Very nice, thanks! Do you have pictures with something displayed on the screen as well?

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:23 am

I made a short movie of while a test script is running. It's placed at github too. I scaled it down to reduce it's size.

SpotlightKid

Post by SpotlightKid » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:45 am

Thanks again!

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:55 pm

Hello everyone.
For everyone who is interested, I have updated the driver for SSD1963 displays, to be found here:
https://github.com/robert-hh/SSD1963-TF ... or-PyBoard
The biggest change is in the aspects of text printing and font handling, which was possible due to the kind help of and cooperation with @pythoncoder. Thanks a lot.
It's still work in progress, so whenever you want to use it, have a look at the most recent version. Any comment is welcome, especially about bugs.
Robert