Driver for BMX055

Discuss development of drivers for external hardware and components, such as LCD screens, sensors, motor drivers, etc.
Target audience: Users and developers of drivers.
Turbinenreiter

Driver for BMX055

Post by Turbinenreiter » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:13 pm

https://github.com/micropython-IMU/micropython-bmx055

As of yet you can:
read chip_id id of accel, gyro, and mag
set the accel range
read accel x,y,z
read gyro x,y,z

Very raw, but now it's out there.
Next step ist the magnetometer. Then some of the extra features (the ones I want). After that I will try to clean it up and make the API the same (as possible) as the MPU9x50.

darethehair

Re: Driver for BMX055

Post by darethehair » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:35 pm

Greetings from a brand-new member, and apologies for immediately pouncing on this thread to get answers that I seek... :)

BACKGROUND: Have dabbled in ESP8266/NodeMCU and successfully written Lua code to interface with env sensors (like DHT22, BMP180, BME280) and OLED display (SSD1306).

DESIRE: To all interface to serial-based GPS (e.g. NEO-6M) as well as an IMU of some type (MPU9250 or BMX055). I have no particular 'need' for a 9 DOF IMU, but eBay options for reasonable price exist, so why not? MPU9250 ($5.50 CDN) and BMX055 ($7.50 CDN).

PROBLEM: I can find no successful Lua code for the GPS, so have opted to start looking at MicroPython solutions instead. Have found MicroPython code for GPS, OLED, MPU9250, and (now, from your post) BMX055. Is one superior to the other? Is my lowly NodeMCU device going to be able (have enough memory?) to do this? If not, I may need to totally change direction and go the Raspberry Pi (or CHIP) route instead.

Thanks for any feedback/advise!

Turbinenreiter

Post by Turbinenreiter » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:49 pm

The driver for the MPU9250 is progressed further then the BMX055 driver (I co-wrote both them).
On the BMX, the accel is done, gyro and magnetometer are missing.
Both are maintained, so if you have issues, we are here (and on GitHub) to work with you.

I came to prefer the BMX055 to the MPU9250. It has good documentation, an Open Source reference driver and a sane register layout. The MPU9250 has undocumented functionality and the registers are just ... weird.

I wouldn't worry about memory, and instead just check. You have the NodeMCU already, just get the code on the board and check if you can import everything without running out.

darethehair

Post by darethehair » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:33 pm

Thanks Turbinenreiter, for the quick answer!

Not that I am in any hurry (considering that ordering and getting either one of those IMUs will take at least a month), but are you optimistic that the BMX055 will acquire the same 9 DOF functionality as the MPU9250 at some point? As far as better/worse, it is interesting that you favor the BMX055 -- any idea if the actual specs/functionality are superior i.e. accuracy, noise, etc? I read somewhere on the net that the accuracy of the MPU9250 is very bad compared to other options. On the other hand, getting a single device with 9 DOF for a good price is more important to me right now than is 'best device available'.