MPU6050 Motion Detection Reset

Discuss development of drivers for external hardware and components, such as LCD screens, sensors, motor drivers, etc.
Target audience: Users and developers of drivers.
YoruTen

MPU6050 Motion Detection Reset

Post by YoruTen » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:20 pm

Hi!
I'm building a dodecahedron time tracker, similar to a TimeFlip.
For this I'm using a Wemos D1 mini running micropython and a GY521/MPU6050.
I've managed to get most of the code working, but now I would like to optimize for battery life by implementing a sleep state and waking by receiving an interrupt from the MPU6050 when it's moved. I have got the motion interrupt to a semi-working state, when I supply power and initialize the motion detection it will react and send an interrupt when I rotate to a new side of the dodecahedron. I got it to latch the interrupt and set it to clear only after reading the interrupt status.

The problem is that I would now like it to take this new side as the side from which when moved should send an interrupt, I can make it so by disconnecting the power and restarting everything, but I can't seam to do it using code.

In the Product Specification, Revision 3.3, there's a diagram that talks about setting up motion detection, I've tried to implement this, which works for the initial orientation. It talks about how the device should be in the expected orientation when the sample is being held, I assume ACCEL_HPF is what is referenced here. But running this setup again on the new side does not seam to set it as the value which it compares against.

So now I wonder if any one has any idea on how I can get it to reset the value that it compares to the threshold, because I tried to reset the ACCEL_HPF by setting it to 0 and then again to 7, that does not seam to help. Tried to reset the whole MPU6050 by setting [0x6B] PWR_MGMT_1, DEVICE_RESET [7] to 1 and the running everything again without success.

The code for the MPU6050 that I have cobbled together from many sources, IMU code, where line 242 is my implementation of the diagram from the product specification.

snympi

Re: MPU6050 Motion Detection Reset

Post by snympi » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:03 am

I'm about to start an implementation using the MPU6050. Did you manage to resolve your problem? Is the IMU code you shared in your post the driver you are using?

I am trying to find a stable MPU6050 driver that I can use for vibration detection with wake on vibration threshold detection (I'm using an ESP32). So your experiences are very helpful, thanks.

netsrac

Re: MPU6050 Motion Detection Reset

Post by netsrac » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:24 pm

snympi wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:03 am
I am trying to find a stable MPU6050 driver that I can use for vibration detection with wake on vibration threshold detection (I'm using an ESP32). So your experiences are very helpful, thanks.
Did you had any success yet? Searching for a similar solution....